Extreme Weather Tent

Posted by: billstephenson

Extreme Weather Tent - 09/20/16 02:07 PM

Somebody went all out on designing a tent made with reflective material. Here's a Mashable article with a video that shows it.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Extreme Weather Tent - 09/20/16 08:22 PM

Those might make living in a refugee camp just a little less hellish. I like the price. I'll bring this up with a charitable org. I work with.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Extreme Weather Tent - 09/21/16 10:31 PM

I thought that something like the Luci lights could be a reasonably affordable solution .
Not ideal but we are talking about emergency situations.
https://mpowerd.com/products/give-luci

Re: Extreme Weather Tent - 09/22/16 01:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing Franco. I have several of those and they'd be perfect for it.

In the tent I made with reflecting material I was pretty well amazed at how great a cheap led headlamp lights the entire inside. So much light is reflected back inside the tent that it evens it out and and the entire thing just glows inside. There are almost no shadows or dark spots at all no matter how you set the light up. The "Luci lights" would be much better too.

I would love to have one of these for car camping, and here in the Ozarks I'd have to think that hunters would really love these too. A small campfire outside the opened up front of that tent would warm it to 60-70ºF easily in below freezing temps outside.

The PVC frame is cheap and easy to make, but I'm sure it's wobbly too. They mentioned filling the tubes with sand or water to add weight and stability but it looks like the tent is made so it'd be easy to use lots of other material to make that frame with.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Extreme Weather Tent - 09/23/16 02:26 AM

Small PVC pipes are pretty strong. I would look at frames from greenhouse to get a better idea on how to brace them .
Internal guylines could work too .
Thank you for posting, can't see myself why we should spend billions trying to send man to Mars when we still can't house people here...

Re: Extreme Weather Tent - 09/23/16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By bluefish
I'll bring this up with a charitable org.

That's awesome bluefish. I hope something comes of it. It's really fun to see this project taking off. I've seen some others too. One is this sleeping bag/tent that is pretty neat as well.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Extreme Weather Tent - 09/24/16 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Originally Posted By bluefish
I'll bring this up with a charitable org.

That's awesome bluefish. I hope something comes of it. It's really fun to see this project taking off. I've seen some others too. One is this sleeping bag/tent that is pretty neat as well.

Thanks, Bill. Something will on a small scale, as our Quaker Meeting will donate some tents and Luci lights at our next business meeting. I love the Luci lights, and love the fact it helps people that are off the grid through no choice of their own.