Hiking and Foraging

Posted by: poshchic

Hiking and Foraging - 08/14/16 05:12 PM

Hello everyone! Is anyone here foraging while hiking? Not that you rely your main source of food from foraging but just mostly doing it as a hobby. If not, would you be interested to try foraging while hiking or backpacking?

I'm new to hiking and I'm noticing that foraging is becoming more and more popular nowadays.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking and Foraging - 08/14/16 05:47 PM

Much of "foraging" can be contrary to the principles of "leave no trace." We need to be careful not to damage rare plants or animals, to leave enough for the animals that may depend on the items (such as berries), and not to disturb the vegetation. Cutting green wood is always a no-no, especially in national park or national forest jurisdictions.

In many places, such activities as mushroom picking and berry picking are regulated. Small amounts for immediate consumption are usually OK. Larger amounts are not. Of course, fishing and hunting are regulated by the states, limited to certain seasons and amounts, and licenses (usually very expensive for nonresidents) are required.

Of course, this time of year many of us "graze" our way along the trail when the huckleberries are ripe! Being careful, of course, that the berry or two we snatch in passing is high up enough to be out of the "reach" of passing dogs! grin
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: Hiking and Foraging - 08/15/16 08:47 AM

There's a very romantic idea floating around that a person could just walk out into the woods and find everything they need right next to the trail. Unfortunately, that's not true. In fact, it has never been true, ever. Forging for enough calories to live takes a whole lot of time and energy -- more time and energy than most people have, even devoted full time. It's why human populations didn't really start growing until people settled down and began farming grain.

As pointed out, forging isn't compatible with LNT. It also isn't compatible with backpacking from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time. I know you said you don't want to depend on forging exclusively, but aside from the odd berry or herb, forging is a very time-intensive proposition. And that assumes you know, really know, your mushroom varieties.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be mean. It's just that I hear this an awful lot from wonderful people who just don't know what all is involved in being a hunter/gatherer because the most crunchy thing they've done is shop at Whole Foods.

That being said, the blackberries ripen around here in mid- to late June and are perfect for cobblers and jams. Come on by then and I'll show you where to go. Just wear your snake boots.
Posted by: tramp

Re: Hiking and Foraging - 08/15/16 09:49 PM

While I'm in agreement w/the above statements a fresh caught wild trout is a wonderful way to end a day in the wilds. A little butter in a pan..............my mouth is watering.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Hiking and Foraging - 08/16/16 05:42 PM

As already mentioned, foraging goes against LNT and can also put a dent in wildlife food resources. An occasional "taste" doesn't do any harm, but if everybody did it...it becomes noticeable. Knowing what is edible is just as important a skill as general survival. Depending on those skills will gain you a big appreciation for what's involved and how easy it is to starve or freeze if you can't keep up. So, become educated. General foraging, primitive fire making, shelter building....what's the point when all that can be in a neat, lightweight package on your back? Use those skills as a backup.
Fishing and hunting is another matter where legal and regulated. I fish/hunt and consume my catch.