Looking for my first set of trekking poles

Posted by: Aragon

Looking for my first set of trekking poles - 09/25/15 02:48 AM

Hello all;

After using a single wooden hiking staff (broomstick) for awhile I'm convinced that a pair of good trekking poles would be a wise investment.

I'm looking for a pair that is extremely strong with first rate "locks." Weight and closed length are secondary considerations.

Not sure if rubber/plastic or cork handles are best? I'm open to either. I appreciate those that allow the hiker to "choke down" on the poles.

Finally are shock-absorbing poles a good think or just unecessary? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted by: dylansdad77

Re: Looking for my first set of trekking poles - 09/25/15 11:26 AM

I bought my first pair of trekking poles about a year ago...for $19 at WalMart. I tested them out on a 2 day, 1 night stroll on the AT in New York State and quickly became a believer. "I have drunk the kool-aid". Now that I've used them, I can get a better feel for what I want and what I don't before dropping upwards of $100 or more on a set of poles.

My suggestion would be to do the same. Try the throw-aways on a few smaller trips to get a feel for what criteria is important. THEN go make your educated purchase. Good luck!

Re: Looking for my first set of trekking poles - 09/25/15 02:32 PM

Thank you, that's good advice. They're now on sale at Wally World for $11.00 so I will do just that.

There's no question that I will begin using two trekking polls. I've had a lot of time to think about my choice while my ankle, knee and elbow heal. Thanks again.

Re: Looking for my first set of trekking poles - 09/25/15 08:46 PM

I bought a set of trekking poles at Wal*Mart today for $11.00/pair. I printed out their on-line sales price and they honored it at their local store:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Apex-Trekking-Pole-Set-Lime/36547596

Mine are just like the ad except they are gold anodized. Perhaps in a year or two, Outdoor Products will release a top-of-the-line model for $33.00/pair?

Thanks again for the solid advice.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Looking for my first set of trekking poles - 10/14/15 10:35 AM

I first used a set of ski poles that I bought for 2$ in a yard sale. Since they were 1 piece they were fairly strong. I now have good locking trekking poles that have held up well. I wouldn't trust the locks on the cheapos to take any weight in case they had to. The poles can prevent falls and injury or cause them, if you rely on them bearing much weight. I'd test them first, before relying on them.