California has Wolves!

Posted by: Rick_D

California has Wolves! - 08/20/15 06:34 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Shasta pack. All seven of them.

Cheers,
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/21/15 06:02 AM

That is great. Here in Michigan they are doing well and some idiots are fighting to have a hunting season for wolves.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/21/15 08:18 AM

Saw the pics; the youngsters are cute!
Posted by: bluefish

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/21/15 09:03 AM

Very heartening to see. There's an occasional, as in once a decade or so, sighting in the Adirondacks and Northern Vermont and they are thinking of a more rapid, hands-on re-introduction into the 'dacks. DEC is dragging their feet, as it'll be tough to regulate the coyote hunters into leaving them alive. My wife saw one when she was a child, and feels very fortunate to have done so. Lots of cattle in the area around Shasta, hope no problems arise with the ranchers.
Posted by: aimless

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/21/15 01:39 PM

There will undoubtedly be trouble with ranchers. That is just how it works. Ranchers are very focused on their livestock and even if they are paid generous reparations for wolf kills, the emotional reaction will be the same regardless. Anything that kills calves or sheep is their enemy.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/21/15 08:13 PM

Hi, Gord: didn't know wolves needed a season to hunt - isn't that pretty much what being a wolf is all about? smile
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/21/15 08:22 PM

One group in Washington does not like them, not one bit!

From their poster I'm guessing there are packs of hundreds scooping up every form of life we hold dear.

"Who's next on their menu?" sounds a little like the "What's in your wallet?" slogan. A wolf, a wolf is in my wallet!

Cheers,
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/22/15 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Hi, Gord: didn't know wolves needed a season to hunt - isn't that pretty much what being a wolf is all about? smile

I think it is something like the bears: If humans keep overpopulating the bear's home, it is only fair that the bears should harvest a few humans.

In Michigan the hunt was justified base primarily based on one farmer: He left carcasses of dead cattle without burying them, They gave him $4000 for fences and donkeys to keep the wolves away. He neglected the donkeys so they died and never put up the fences. 80% of the compensation was to this one farmer. Because of this they justified a hunt. It obviously had nothing to do with the mighty hunter killing the big bad wolf.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: California has Wolves! - 08/22/15 10:15 AM

I love the attendance at the rally, based on the picture on the site. The entire first row is empty, one person in the second, probably her husband. Of course, they may have mistakenly scheduled her presentation at the same time as happy hour at the strip club down the street. Lots of wolf whistlers, no howlers. Wolves don't respond to whistles.