Backcountry Camping in New Jersey State Parks

Posted by: dylansdad77

Backcountry Camping in New Jersey State Parks - 12/12/14 12:41 PM

I am interested in doing some backcountry camping close to home (central NJ) in an effort to develop some primitive survival skills. Being that I am just starting this process, I'd like to stay local for the first few overnights. When I say primitive, I am talking about foraging for freshwater rather than humping it to camp - collecting and boiling as necessary, primitive fire-building, shelter building etc. Understanding the state laws on trapping and hunting, I might save that for down the road a ways.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with backcountry camping at some of the fine state parks NJ has to offer? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backcountry Camping in New Jersey State Parks - 12/12/14 03:04 PM

I have no knowledge of NJ in particular, but presumably like every other state they have a website for their state parks that lists the features, rules, etc. That would be the place to start. You can of course call the number listed for a specific state park in which you're interested to get more details.

If NJ is anything like Oregon, they won't allow camping outside the regular campgrounds. We do have hiker/biker sections out here, although that means you can't bring a car into the park. You can still test your gear and your techniques, although I'm quite sure that park management would prefer you to use the restroom rather than digging a cathole!

The NJ section of the Appalachian Trail might be a good place to investigate.