Hydrophobic Shirt

Posted by: billstephenson

Hydrophobic Shirt - 12/04/14 09:09 PM

This company in Australia has made a waterproof shirt they say is breathable. They say they're using "nanotechnology".

They're not cheap at $65, but the product is Interesting...

Posted by: aimless

Re: Hydrophobic Shirt - 12/06/14 03:09 PM

I hope that someone who does marketing at that company knows that "hydrophobic" has long had as its primary meaning: rabid, i.e. infected with rabies. eek
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hydrophobic Shirt - 12/06/14 04:56 PM

I was wondering about that--will we have to get shots after wearing the shirt?
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Hydrophobic Shirt - 12/07/14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By aimless
I hope that someone who does marketing at that company knows that "hydrophobic" has long had as its primary meaning: rabid, i.e. infected with rabies. eek

That's hilarious cry

I think maybe that's more of a slang usage though, that describes a symptom of rabies. Maybe it's an American thing. Poor Aussies wouldn't know if that's the case, but it is pretty funny.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Hydrophobic Shirt - 12/07/14 02:09 PM

The use of 'hydrophobic' as a term to indicate rabies goes back to ancient times, before the first Europeans set foot in America or Australia, when it was thought that rabid animals and people couldn't stand the presence of water. This was, of course, a crock, but for centuries it was assumed to be scientific knowledge - probably because it was written down by Aristotle or Galen or some other 'authority'.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Hydrophobic Shirt - 12/07/14 07:39 PM

I always wondered who the original "They" were - as in, They say you should never sleep in your clothes, They say you should always carry 2 quarts of water, even when you can see the next stream from here, etc.