Keeping Hands Warm

Posted by: 4evrplan

Keeping Hands Warm - 11/12/14 10:39 AM

Anyone use any tricks to keep your hands warm, besides the obvious (gloves and/or mittens)? What about chemical hand warmers (any type - air, crystal, battery, fuel)? Are they worth the weight to you?
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Keeping Hands Warm - 11/12/14 11:31 AM

I use "Hot Hands" chemical warmers a lot, and yes, they're well worth the weight in my opinion.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Keeping Hands Warm - 11/13/14 11:26 AM

just gloves or mittens for me.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Keeping Hands Warm - 11/13/14 08:04 PM

For cold weather camping, I use layers of gloves. I have a pair of thin Smartwool gloves that I use around camp--they are thin enough that I can handle my stove and other cooking chores without taking them off. Being wool, I can use them to handle a hot pot without their melting. Far, far, better than chilled hands which are hard to warm up.

Second layer is a pair of lightweight fleece mittens--warm, breathable and fast-drying. Third layer is a pair of Mountain Laurel Designs eVent rain mitts. I've never been in a situation in which I've needed more, although if you are in an area that gets below zero you will undoubtedly need heavier mittens--or another pair--for the middle layer.

I've found that the separate layers are far easier to dry out when they inevitably get wet.
Posted by: NH2112

Re: Keeping Hands Warm - 11/18/14 05:49 PM

If you're not already, wear a hat. Keeping your head warm will help keep your hands & feet warm. Hands sweat a lot, especially if you're working with them, and wicking glove liners will get the moisture away from your skin. Make sure that your wrists are covered, the blood vessels are close to the skin and radiate heat away. I'd recommend a multi-layered approach, with the wicking liners first, then an insulating layer (wool is my favorite), and finally a breathable, waterproof outer layer with or without insulation. Remove 1 or more layers as temperature and conditions allow. Make sure to bring the other layers with you when you buy new stuff, so you can verify they all fit together. Don't wear them too tight, you shouldn't feel any restriction or pressure anywhere except a slight amount where there's elastic or straps.