It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks!

Posted by: billstephenson

It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks! - 10/20/14 02:41 AM

At least I'm declaring it is.

I did some bushwhacking around our place this week and haven't seen a tick or got chigger bit, so I'm getting ready. This week looks like the weather will be perfect and we've had some rain so there should be water in the creeks.

Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks! - 10/20/14 11:08 AM

I knew it was the season, because my local Wally World expanded their camping section to two isles instead of one. laugh Ironically, they still didn't have the emergency blankets I was looking for (for my son's pack in case we get separated overnight).
Posted by: PassinThroux

Re: It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks! - 12/04/14 08:37 AM

Wally World (and Academy) here in Louisiana only expands hunting gear... The hiking/backpacking sections are always quite bare, unless you hiking/backpack in camo and rubber boots.
Posted by: Kraig

Re: It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks! - 12/08/14 04:08 PM

Do you ever hike down in the Beaver Lake area?

I was hiking Hobbs in late September and got eaten up by chiggers. I have never been so chigger bit in all my life.

Other than that I love hiking Hobbs.

You must be up on the Elk.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks! - 12/09/14 01:01 PM

Haha, yeah, September is prime time to get chigger bit. It's tough too because September can be just sweet out and the forests are just beautiful, but the chiggers own the forest then and they make you pay dearly for coming into it cry

I'm on the upper end of Bull Shoals (near Branson, MO) but I go visit Beaver Lake often. My wife and I visit Eureka Springs a couple times a year and we did some exploring around Beaver Lake again this Summer, but I've never hiked much around there yet.

I'm going to try and get a couple nights in the forest somewhere here this week. The weather here is pretty sweet right now, right in my temp range with highs in the low to mid 50šs and lows in the low to mid 30šs.

Last year here, in December, it was just nasty cold nearly all month long. This year it has been much better (so far), but I've not got out for anything more than a few day hikes so far. If nothing pops up today I should be able to head out for at least one or two nights. I'm keeping my fingers crossed wink

Posted by: Kraig

Re: It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks! - 12/09/14 01:26 PM

When you have time come down to Rogers and hit Hobbs Estate and hike the Pigeon Roost Trail. It is 4.3 mile in and 4.3 miles out but at the end of the 4.3 miles in part there are 5 primitive camp sites close to the lake.

The trail will kick your butt if not carful. The first two times I did it I about quit but since you are in the wilderness and there is nobody to help I had to keep going. Be sure to hang your food high up a tree as there are bear there. I hiked it on bow opening day and on the way back at the half way point I seen the biggest bear turd I have ever seen. Earlier in the day I stepped in the middle of a copperheads back but was lucky and it did not strike and man was its jaws full of venom.

Check out the Pigeon Roost Trail web page. I like to hike in on Friday evening and camp until Sunday morning and then hike out. I bring fishing poles so I can fish. You can even bring a 22 for squirrel hunting as you hike.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/trails/pigeon-roost-trail-81/