Backpack for Petite Girl??

Posted by: Porleander

Backpack for Petite Girl?? - 10/12/14 07:02 PM

I am looking for a backpack for a 1 month trip to New Zealand in January. I am pretty small female, 5-2 but my torso is 17 inches. I am going to be camping, hiking, and staying in hostels, so I will need to be able to fit a tent & sleeping bag. I can pack semi-light, relatively speaking, but I want to be able to pack a few outfits to go out in. I've researched a lot but all the information is so overwhelming... I am also not looking to spend over 200 but if its the right backpack and will last 5 plus years, Ill consider a splurge. Thank you!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Backpack for Petite Girl?? - 10/13/14 11:50 AM

You will need to go to a store and try something on. My wife has a smaller torso, and we had to do some looking, but found a few options with Granit Gear, Deuter, Gregory and Osprey. If you go to a store, they will also fit you for a hip belt.
Posted by: gaustin

Re: Backpack for Petite Girl?? - 12/18/14 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By finallyME
You will need to go to a store and try something on. My wife has a smaller torso, and we had to do some looking, but found a few options with Granit Gear, Deuter, Gregory and Osprey. If you go to a store, they will also fit you for a hip belt.

Great advice smile....
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Backpack for Petite Girl?? - 12/18/14 01:26 PM

Seconded on Osprey's female models, some of which have adjustable torso lengths. The other thing to watch for is that the shoulder straps fit correctly, crossing your clavicle bones and not out over your shoulder joints. If you have to cinch down the sternum strap to corral them, the yoke is too wide and the pack won't fit.

Give some thought to how you're flying with it. If checking it as luggage, have a scheme for protecting the pack because they can get messed up and I don't necessarily trust the open plastic trays.
Posted by: bob13bob

Re: Backpack for Petite Girl?? - 01/19/15 08:13 PM

I know the OP has already gone, but I want to add something for other petite shoppers.
my wife is 5'0. gregory is her best fit. backpacks are a personal fit, like shoes. It's time consuming, but you have to try many. Evenw ith a brand like gregory, each backpack line comes with different suspension/fit systems.