Came back from our trip to find quake damage...

Posted by: balzaccom

Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/25/14 02:25 PM

Yes, we’ve had some damage due to the earthquake yesterday morning in Napa. The office is open today, and we are cleaning up a few broken bottles of wine, putting bookshelves back, and generally tidying this up. Our computers are working, our internet connection is fine, and we are open for business.

Some of our staff were hit harder than others. The worst seems to be downtown near the office, where my house had severe damage to the plaster walls, and everything ended up on the floor. The kitchen was a particular mess, with broken wine glasses and food on the floor. And the wine cellar lost some very nice bottles….very sad.

But we are all fine, healthy. Schools in Napa are closed today, as are many businesses, but we are all cleaning up, putting things back, and getting our lives into order again.

Here’s a link to the photos from my house, if you are interested:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Balzac1991/EarthquakeInNapa2014#
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/25/14 04:23 PM

Yikes! Glad you're okay (best place to be for an earthquake is elsewhere). I have in-laws on F Street and G Street and evidently the G Street place got the worse of it--every breakable thing did.

Here's to a speedy recovery.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/25/14 06:56 PM

I was wondering how you had fared in the quake. My sister tutors a boy whose uncle had their refrigerator tip over, a wine refrigerator fall over, and every bit of glassware in their house broke. But seeing your pictures really brings it home.

Holy crap, we really need to do some seismic retrofit here - the East Bay is way overdue for a major quake.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/25/14 08:58 PM

Should give the economy a big shot in the arm.
Duane
Posted by: bobito9

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/26/14 12:04 AM

Ouch! That really sucks. At least it appears to be superficial damage, unlike your poor neighbor's foundation.
I live a down in the East Bay. I sure as the heck felt it, but no damage
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/26/14 11:18 AM

My daughter and son-in-law just bought a house near Sonoma. They haven't yet moved so still live in Petaluma. They were worried about the new house, but fortunately there was no damage at all.

Despite all the folklore about earthquake-prescient pets, their dog is the second dog in the family that has slept through a magnitude 6 earthquake!
Posted by: anicinabe

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/30/14 02:51 PM

that must feel like being ransacked by a burglar on steriods
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 08/31/14 12:15 AM

The town is full of stories attesting to the power of this thing. A refrigerator tossed into the air and smashing into the wall above it. A toilet thrown out of the bathroom into the hall in front of it.

We are small and insignificant...as usual
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 09/01/14 01:30 PM

I was there for plenty of small shakers and from my experience with them, after looking at the damage in the photos you and others have posted, this one was a real rocker. That's way worse than any I've been in.

Glad to know you and yours weren't injured and that most of your stuff remains intact. I know these events stick with you regardless. My heart would skip a few beats for months afterward every time a cup rattled on the shelf from traffic outside, and that was little stuff by comparison.

Posted by: aimless

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 09/01/14 02:47 PM

Hmmm. That was officially a 6.0 quake. The PNW is supposed to be at risk for a 9.0 subduction zone quake. The Richter scale is logarithmic... (calculates)... so a 9.0 quake would be 1,000 times more powerful!

Yikes!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Came back from our trip to find quake damage... - 09/01/14 02:51 PM

Wife's cousin had a wheeled piece of furniture roll outside through a door the quake opened, somehow avoiding getting smashed in the process. Crazy.

We, and the pets, slept right through it but a lot of friends in town were awakened by quite a bit of chaos at their houses, despite our being some 40 or 50 miles away. It can be very selective.