Something ate trekking pole handles

Posted by: Gershon

Something ate trekking pole handles - 08/11/14 05:48 AM

This weekend, something chewed up the handle on one of my son's trekking poles and ruined it. It also chewed on the handle of one of my poles. I suspect chipmunks because they were the only animal that was different than other areas I usually go to.

I guess I'll have to hang my poles with the food from now on.

Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Something ate trekking pole handles - 08/11/14 01:13 PM

Salt! They must of smelt your salty sweat and chewed on the grips to extract the salt.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Something ate trekking pole handles - 08/11/14 03:42 PM

You can't trust chipmunks. They look all cute and stuff but they're really just gangs of little thugs waiting for you to leave something out that they can eat.

They probably don't even like trekking pole handles much. They were probably just letting you know who's turf you were on. eek

Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Something ate trekking pole handles - 08/11/14 03:47 PM

There was a raccoon last weekend that wouldn't leave us alone (car camping). We thought we'd put everything away, but then we realized it was chewing the leftover marshmallow off the sticks we'd used for roasting them. Raccoons are relentless, but chipmunks sound evil.
Posted by: NapalmMan67

Re: Something ate trekking pole handles - 08/11/14 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Salt! They must of smelt your salty sweat and chewed on the grips to extract the salt.

I would suspect the salt as well. Just like when the critters chew on the outhouse seat at my friends cabin.

Posted by: Dryer

Re: Something ate trekking pole handles - 08/12/14 09:23 AM

Cork or rubber handles?
I've had mice eat my cork fly rod handles for years if they weren't in a case. Mice and rats will also eat black rubber for whatever reason. A rat once worked it's way into my car through the air conditioning filter and chewed completely through several black wires. Only black wires, metal and all. Guess he liked licorice. grin Maybe had a copper deficiency too.
Sweat, salt, and whatever food you touched with your hands before hiking with your poles attracted your critter.