Bear sighting

Posted by: Gershon

Bear sighting - 07/13/14 04:21 PM

I walked out my front door for my morning walk this morning. A neighbor told me a bear just went by my house and to be careful. I looked around for people chasing the bear with gun and then went for my walk.

I live a city, and there have been many bear sightings here.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Bear sighting - 07/13/14 05:02 PM

About every 2 or 3 years there is a bear siting in Tallahassee and more in the smaller towns south of Tallahassee. many of the parks have bear proof trash receptacles. I still haven't spotted one during any of my hikes though.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Bear sighting - 07/13/14 11:42 PM

I've seen two young ones (yearling?) about a month ago, maybe a week a part, scared off the road. First I've seen for a couple years.
Duane
Posted by: shuddleson

Re: Bear sighting - 07/14/14 06:48 PM

During dry years, we frequently get bears down here in Albuquerque. But this year, I think that there has been enough rain to keep them up in the high country for now.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Bear sighting - 07/14/14 10:16 PM

One at my place a few weeks back.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Bear sighting - 07/14/14 11:43 PM

That has to be the ugliest housecat I've ever seen. eek

DFW darted a mountain lion about two miles from my house last month, right in the middle of the city. Crazy.

Cheers,
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Bear sighting - 07/15/14 10:48 AM

This is from 1999 and it's just the first few sentences of the story. A mountain lion visited the chaplain's office at Fort Carson. The chaplain was in the next office and heard noise. As I recall, when the the chaplain went to check it out, the mountain lion went out through the window.

Mountain lions are common near populated areas in Colorado's foothills. Sometimes they take a child at the back of a hiking group. Sometimes they kill or injure a small person jogging in a seemingly safe area.

Posted by: intrek38

Re: Bear sighting - 07/19/14 07:00 PM

I rarely ever see a bear even in the Sierra, but I finally saw one from a safe distance doing what they do naturally.. Grazing.. I was a little out of breath and somewhat excited.. Took a short video (poor quality), but it was so cool being solo in a remote "Long Valley" and seeing this guy off in the distance..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDIdQVkadOM&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27t0APWqZww
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Bear sighting - 07/21/14 04:18 PM

Hard to see but that's a bear in the center of the photo, taken earlier this year.