A look at the Sierras'

Posted by: rockchucker22

A look at the Sierras' - 01/25/14 11:44 PM

From today's day hike.

Posted by: billstephenson

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/26/14 12:49 PM

Man, that's some vast, rugged, and barren looking land compared to here. Those are great photos, thanks for sharing!

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/26/14 12:58 PM

It was a tough day 12 miles and 4500 vertical feet of climbing. We got stuck in some huge boulders. No trail, all bush whacking. It is a very neat area with almost no recient human activity. I've been cashing water to link together a backpacking trip.
Posted by: Ckurz

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/26/14 04:10 PM

You must have had a blast, is there any foliage towards the base of the sierras?

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/26/14 04:15 PM

Sage brush, rabbit brush, bitter brush.... High desert flora.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/26/14 04:45 PM

Beautiful.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/26/14 05:27 PM

Very cool.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/26/14 11:20 PM

I went to the Henry Coe SP here in California the last few days for another bp sites large group trip, driving over 88/Carson Pass, not much snow.
Duane
Posted by: TomD

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 04:01 AM

RC, where is that? Kind of looks like out around Kern County somewhere. I know there is snow up at Mammoth, so I'm thinking that's kind of what you see in the background.

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By TomD
RC, where is that? Kind of looks like out around Kern County somewhere. I know there is snow up at Mammoth, so I'm thinking that's kind of what you see in the background.
I was east of Independance looking towards Whitney, if you look carefully you can just make it out.
Posted by: ragazzo

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 04:45 PM

Looks phenomenal.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 06:14 PM

Soon that view may include 1200 acres of solar panels. I had many hikes in the Inyos, Panamints , Saline, and Funerals with my tongue sticking to the roof of my mouth. Could never get far because of the water. The cache idea is great and I can't wait to see the report from your trip.

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By bluefish
Soon that view may include 1200 acres of solar panels. I had many hikes in the Inyos, Panamints , Saline, and Funerals with my tongue sticking to the roof of my mouth. Could never get far because of the water. The cache idea is great and I can't wait to see the report from your trip.
I sure hope the solar panels find a home somewhere else! Like all the roof tops of the strip malls. To me it would be a blight on the land, like all the windmills in the Mohave. I wonder why the major environmental groups could care less if these people strip the land for "clean" energy, but want to hang anyone who recreates with a four wheel drive vehical. Why is it not ok for cattle to graze yet ok to industrialize this pristeen desert. It truly baffles me.

Ok off my soap box now.

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Originally Posted By TomD
I was east of Independance looking towards Whitney, if you look carefully you can just make it out.

That is so different than the Sequoia NF area I played in but pretty close. You're close to Death Valley there too, about in-between the two.

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 08:27 PM

Quote:
I sure hope the solar panels find a home somewhere else! Like all the roof tops of the strip malls.

They've acres and acres of those they could use and they're right on top of the end user.

Re: A look at the Sierras' - 01/27/14 08:57 PM

Yes, the other side of the ridge I was on is saline valley, not DV proper but in the park. Tomorrow I'm going with the BLM's archeologist to a site on the east side of Saline. Can't wait to see this place!