Need a help in choosing right sleeping back...

Posted by: Apocalypso

Need a help in choosing right sleeping back... - 12/16/13 03:54 AM

Hi,

I'm in doubt and need some help and I am new here so please be gently with me laugh laugh laugh

anyway, I'm looking for the new below zero sleeping bag and now I'm not sure what to chose...

MIllet Expedition 8000 (DOWN)
http://www.millet.fr/en/products/fall-winter-2013-2014/hardware-sleeping-bags/expedition-8000

or

Mammut/Ajungilak Tyin EXP 5-Season (Synthetic )
www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/241001660_v_180/Tyin-EXP-5-Season.html

Thanks in advance, any help is more than welcome,
Teo
Posted by: BZH

Re: Need a help in choosing right sleeping back... - 12/16/13 12:04 PM

Unless you have a down allergy, I would go with down every time. It is lighter, packs smaller, and the insulation does not degrade as quickly over time.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Need a help in choosing right sleeping back... - 12/21/13 11:33 PM

First of all, where are you? Based on your choices, I think Europe. Second, define "below zero" as in how much below and whether you mean C or F. Based on your choices, I am going to presume C (goes along with Europe).

The Millet is rated -10C (EIN comfort rating). Ignore the other two numbers. Trust me on this one. I found the Millet online from a Spanish company for about $404 Euros.

The Mammut is rated -25C, but ignore that; they say its the limit, so -10C is probably the comfort rating. The Mammut weighs more than 1 kilo more than the Millet. I see it online for 300 Euros.

Between these two, my choice would be a Millet, but you should look at Valandre as well-very highly rated, mostly sold in Europe. Other choices would be US brands such as Marmot (I have one), Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, or MacPac (a NZ brand, I have one).