New here! I hike South Florida

Posted by: Ckurz

New here! I hike South Florida - 10/26/13 09:57 PM

What's up guys, new here, testing out the forum. I live down in south florida and am in love with the outdoors. Unfortunately down here you don't have much outdoors, but I always seem to find my little wilderness. It's mostly flat down here, I've been hiking my entire 17 years, from the greater yellowstone area, to the Appalachians, to Austin, Tx, back to florida. Now that it's cooling down here I've been going regularly, lately I've hiked the Everglades National Park and Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, I always seem to find the most remote and rural trails possible. The outdoors is my passion. I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: New here! I hike South Florida - 10/26/13 10:27 PM

Welcome!
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: New here! I hike South Florida - 10/27/13 07:40 PM

I put together a trail guide, mostly for day hiking, for the Tallahassee area. If you're ever headed this way I can email you the PDF. I distribute it at no charge and anyone is welcome to it, but it probably won't be of interest unless you want to know about trails in the Tallahassee, Florida area.

I'm sure you already know about the Florida Trail.
Posted by: D.Rail

Re: New here! I hike South Florida - 11/26/13 12:52 PM

Hi I am new here as well.
I moved to south FL from the Adirondacks. BIG change.
Back home there are tons of places to just go set up a tent and camp, either off the tailgate or backpack style. Is there anyplace I can do that in south eastern FL? Everything I come up with either doesn't allow dogs or you have to pay and there are so many rules it's very frustrating. I just wanna get in the woods!!! HELP ME!!!
Thanks
D.Rail
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: New here! I hike South Florida - 11/26/13 02:38 PM

Welcome!

Hopefully Perry will chime in here. He's probably got most the spots you can go memorized.

You can always look into Georgia and Alabama too. Might have to drive a bit but there are some nice spots to be explored.