Backpacking Glacier National Park: Boots

Posted by: hakuma

Backpacking Glacier National Park: Boots - 08/08/13 08:01 AM

Hello,
First time poster. Got a question for everyone about gear. I'm doing the Many Glacier loop (North Circle) in Glacier National park in September. I'm thinking I might need to get some new boots but wanted your advice.

These are the boots http://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=67 I've been wearing for a while and I love them but all my hiking/backpacking has been in arid or hot/humid climates. In case the link doesn't work they are bellevile tactical research khyber pass boots designed for military.

My question is whether or not they'll work in Glacier where it'll be cold and wet. I'm willing to buy a new pair of boots but was wondering if some kind of gortex sock might get me by. These boots are great and have a lot of life left and if I can save that money I'll just spend it on other gear.

Let me know what you think and feel free to offer a suggestion on a boot. I'm 6' 4" and about 190lbs.

Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Backpacking Glacier National Park: Boots - 08/08/13 12:13 PM

I'm not much of a boot wearer; I hiked through Glacier and much of Montana in snow a couple of years ago in trail runners, so my opinion on what's 'best' will likely not match with yours.

I did want to comment, however, on the use of goretex socks with boots. Goretex socks work okay with very breathable non-waterproof shoes, because you need a delta (a difference) between the outside of the sock and the vapor-rich inside for it to work. If you enclose the goretex sock in a waterproof boot, there's nowhere for the vapor to get out to --- the sort of osmotic barrier is useless if you enclose and block it from doing its job.

If you're concerned about cold, bring a vapor barrier sock instead and accept that your feet get wet inside (perhaps worthwhile to research the whole "vapor barrier" approach if you're not already familiar with it).

As an aside, I *suspect* that boots designed for the military today will suit you just fine; I recall interacting with someone (perhaps even on this forum) that was a big fan of, and had experience with using this sort of boot in wet conditions. My own experience with combat boots dates back to just after Viet Nam, so not so relevant ... :-)

Best of luck in finding something that suits you.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Backpacking Glacier National Park: Boots - 08/08/13 12:15 PM

Okay, and let me add on reflection that I don't think that a vapor barrier sock is something that you will want or need in GNP in September (!). Apologies for even bringing that up in that context.
Posted by: hakuma

Re: Backpacking Glacier National Park: Boots - 08/08/13 04:46 PM

Thanks a lot. These boots are breathable, as they were designed for hot weather desert climates. I'm sure there are other boots that are more breathable though.

I think I'll just buy a pair of goretex socks and use them if it starts getting wet. I've stepped in puddles and shallow creeks with these boots and they do a decent job...but i've never put them to any extended test. I'm thinking we'll encounter rain at least once.

THANKS
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Backpacking Glacier National Park: Boots - 08/12/13 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By hakuma
Thanks a lot. These boots are breathable, as they were designed for hot weather desert climates. I'm sure there are other boots that are more breathable though.

I think I'll just buy a pair of goretex socks and use them if it starts getting wet. I've stepped in puddles and shallow creeks with these boots and they do a decent job...but i've never put them to any extended test. I'm thinking we'll encounter rain at least once.

THANKS
I think that those boots should do just fine as they are primarily leather with some nylon fabric. I am not a fan of GoreTex boots or socks. I would be more concerned about rain entering through the top of your boots and protecting against that.

I did your route (via Poia Lake) in September 2009 and there is only one stream crossing I recall where you will need to cross carrying your boots. Everything else is a bridge or rock hopping.

A picture from the foot of Glenn's Lake after the water crossing:

Posted by: Peter Sump

Re: Backpacking Glacier National Park: Boots - 11/08/13 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By ndsol
Originally Posted By hakuma

THANKS
I think that those boots should do just fine as they are primarily leather with some nylon fabric. I am not a fan of GoreTex boots or socks. I would be more concerned about rain entering through the top of your boots and protecting against that.

I did your route (via Poia Lake) in September 2009 and there is only one stream crossing I recall where you will need to cross carrying your boots. Everything else is a bridge or rock hopping.

A picture from the foot of Glenn's Lake after the water crossing:

~Such a wonderful place to visit! Wanna experience some trips too doing some adventures like what you've done.