Topo Map Software for Computer

Posted by: WyOutdoors

Topo Map Software for Computer - 07/31/13 09:51 PM

I want to get some topo map software for my computer so I can make maps at home for the trail.I always go down to the local outdoor store and print some off there but they charge astronomical prices. I like to have my own custom maps I can fit in a one gallon ziplock bag and fold up in my pocket for the trail. Any advice on different brands of software would be appreciated.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/01/13 12:42 AM

If you like free and can work with PDF or TIFF, this resource might work for you.

Forest Service map clearinghouse

Find your state, then subregion and download whichever quads you need. Marking them up requires software, but you can simply crop and print the base maps you need without anything fancy.

Happy experimenting!
Posted by: lori

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/01/13 12:48 AM

If you have Windows, there are a number of offerings, some of which come with the purchase of a GPS and then there's National Geographic...

If you have a Mac, there's Mac GPS Pro, which I am now using. I got all the USGS and Forest Service topos for my state as well. It takes getting used to as it's not so point and click as others but it's pretty snazzy and quite powerful. And of course, since you can also run Windows on a Mac, you can also get any of the Windows packages and run them that way.

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/01/13 01:35 AM

I have a few national geographic maps. I'll have to check there software out. Thanks guys.
Posted by: WDW4

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/01/13 09:26 AM

I often use www.caltopo.com , which has both USGS and Forest Service maps. You can draw a path and then measure distance and elevation change.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/01/13 09:41 AM

We use Acme Mapper---and find them much more accurate than NatGeo.

And they are free, and easy to use. acmemapper.com
Posted by: lori

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/01/13 09:59 AM

The only problem with acmemapper is, no connecting the GPS and uploading tracks. No making a route and transferring to GPS.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/01/13 02:12 PM

I use Garmin's free "Basecamp" software and free topo maps from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com. Works on both WinPCs and Macs.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/02/13 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By WDW4
I often use www.caltopo.com , which has both USGS and Forest Service maps. You can draw a path and then measure distance and elevation change.

I use this site Free topo maps . But that caltopo looks better. It looks like they use the same maps, but caltopo looks like it has more features.
Posted by: topshot

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/02/13 10:10 PM

Gmap4 is another good resource!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/05/13 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By topshot
Gmap4 is another good resource!

Yes it seems to be a good choice as well. Thanks!

Re: Topo Map Software for Computer - 08/07/13 01:18 AM

Gmap4 is AWESOME!!! goodjob