montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke

Posted by: Gregp

montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke - 06/17/13 03:18 AM

i thought it was interesting that the alpine light down parka from montbell did not received as much attention as the frost smoke down parka. the alpine light has more down and only cost like $10 more. maybe im bias because i own a alpine light down parka. has any body owned a frost smoke?
Posted by: Robotmoose

Re: montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke - 06/17/13 06:17 AM

What truly matters is how it works for you. General consensus is a fantastic tool if you're curious about a certain item or method, but eventually you simply must use something because it's what works best for you, regardless of the mass opinion.

My favorite example is the world of "ultralight" backpacks. I bought one because I had this noble agenda about changing tracks from expedition weight to light/ultralight weight gear.
It was supposed to be the greatest pack of its type by that given manufacturer, and it doesn't fit me at all, no matter how I loaded it or adjusted the straps.
It so happens that the majority of light and ultralight internal frame packs simply aren't built for people of my body structure. They're generally too narrow, too short and accommodate deep torsos poorly: they're just not intended for people who are built like bears. In the end, I've kept my trusty expedition weight pack because it works for me, even if it flies in the face of the general consensus on weight.

That, above all else, is what makes this hobby great and truly American. We have the right to make our own choices about what we carry into the wilderness, we can therefore tailor our own experiences to suit our needs regardless of what the next man carries. If the Alpine Light Parka is the coat you've got in your pack; then by all means I hope it does what you want it to do, where and when you need it to, and I look forward to your opinions on its performance.
Posted by: aimless

Re: montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke - 06/17/13 12:46 PM

I own several pieces of Montbell clothing, including an ultralight down sweater (sorry, the name of the style eludes me), and all of it is of high quality. The nylon shell on the down sweater is amazingly thin and you need to be aware of anything sharp or jagged to avoid punctures, but it is also high thread count and downproof so it doesn't leak down. I'm happy with it. I can't speak to the frost smoke.
Posted by: Gregp

Re: montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke - 06/17/13 07:27 PM

the parka is very well made i have had a few (mostly from the north face) and the craftsmanship is the best so far.