Shaving in the back country

Posted by: Gregp

Shaving in the back country - 06/16/13 10:04 PM

I've not had the chance to shave in the back country yet. I have only packed one or two day trips wear shave is not necessary . I don't know what a good strategy would be to handle it. I just use shaving jell at home but I think a can of jellette mite be to heavy and not very good for the environment. It must seam like a strange question but I just never had to do it.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 12:25 AM

Is there any particular reason why you'd feel the need to shave before you returned home? If not, then I would say just let it grow.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 12:29 AM

I have never shaved in the back country--even after a week or more. I do wash, but shaving has never seemed important to me on the trail.

And yeah, when I am at home, I shave every day--or at least every working day.

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 02:25 AM

im not a big fan of having a beard and on a two week hike its unavoidable. i think it would make my trip more enjoyably if i could shave at least twice.
Posted by: Robotmoose

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 03:00 AM

Well, shaving cream and foam act as lubricants to make your razor's passage over your face easier. You can sub out the dedicated shaving cream for foamed-up hand soap or Doctor Bronner's, and it still works.
Disposable razors and cheap razors from hotels don't weigh much and can be used easily in the field by feel.

Oddly enough, I do shave while backpacking. I have a philosophy that if it becomes easy to shirk daily routines, then one can have difficulty picking up the habits again.
Plus, it's nice to try and look decent while on the trail: I hike in creased Dickies and pressed shirts with a waistcoat. That is no exaggeration.

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 03:07 AM

well im glad to hear some one shaves on the tail here! lol that's what i thought would work but you never know if theirs some secret hiker trick you dont know about. thanks for the info and i will keep an eye out for that soup.

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 03:13 AM

Glad I could help!

As far as I know, Dr. Bronner's can be found at any major camping goods store, or ordered online.
The cool thing about it is that any soap that is unscented and biodegradable will work fine, and it's not strictly hinging on any particular brand. Whatever you find that suits the bill will work.

Please remember that shave water goes in the cat-hole and not the creek!
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 08:29 AM

On trips less than 3 days, no. I have a beard, but shave my cheeks. I look really scruffy after 3 days and get itchy. I put another vote for Dr. Bronners (I've used it for 40 years) ,which I carry in a tiny squeeze bottle. You only need 4-5 drops. It also helps pot cleanup and you can brush your teeth with 1 drop. I bring a brand new Bic razor with a half handle. I use the peppermint which leaves me feeling refreshed and ready to hit the trail. My wife will tell me if I missed a spot, as I don't carry a mirror of any kind. I can easily see not bothering, but it makes me feel much better for the tiny amount of extra weight.

Charlie
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 09:01 AM

To play off a joke from Duck Dynasty, "I thought having a beard means you're proud of being a man." grin
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 10:10 AM

Ditto. Double Ditto.

If you really, really feel the need, you might look in the travel-size supplies at the drug store. When I travel on business, I take a travel-size can of Gillette Foamy, that weighs only a few ounces and is fairly compact.

But really - why bother in the backcountry?
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 10:15 AM

Never bothered to shave no matter how long the hike. IF I were to shave in the boonies, I'd use a dab of Dr. Bronner's and a Bic disposable with the little lube strip. I never carry a mirror, so I'd have to go by feel.
I don't wear a beard normally but feel the scruffiness upon a hikes return a kind of 'badge of honor'. I like to see the look on my wife's and daughters faces. grin

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 01:57 PM

ive always thought it was the man who makes the beard not the beard who makes the man or chooses not to make in my case. shocked
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 04:33 PM

I have never shaved while hiking. When I was in the Army, I had to shave in the field. Never liked it. Of course, I don't even carry a toothbrush unless it is 3 days.

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/17/13 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By Gregp
ive always thought it was the man who makes the beard not the beard who makes the man or chooses not to make in my case. shocked

You got a valid case!

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/18/13 08:27 AM

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
To play off a joke from Duck Dynasty, "I thought having a beard means you're proud of being a man." grin

For me, generally it looks like I've just dipped my face in vasoline and given a raspberry to the underside of a cat...

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/18/13 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By Robotmoose
Originally Posted By ETSU Pride

For me, generally it looks like I've just dipped my face in vasoline and given a raspberry to the underside of a cat...

LOL!! grin
Posted by: ReliefAshama

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/19/13 02:46 PM

I have shaved from my canteen cup plenty of times. No biggie.
Posted by: JPete

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/25/13 04:18 PM

I really don't have anything useful to add, but can't resist.

Yes, I've also shaved out of a canteen cup and also out of my helmet, and, maybe because of that training, I did indeed shave out of my cooking pot for a long time.

For some time I carried a very light, thin plastic signalling mirror and used that. Then I read Colin Fletcher and thought about the experience I had in airplanes and decided the mirror was a waste of half an ounce and ditched it.

For some time after that I shaved by feel and that worked fine. Then one day it hit me that the only people I was likely to see for the next week were backpackers.

I haven't shaved on the trail since (though I will do so if I go to town). That was about fifteen years ago. Guess that is not showing much respect for my fellow packers, but so be it.

Best, jcp
Posted by: lostagain

Re: Shaving in the back country - 06/29/13 02:35 PM

If I'm on a week long or more pack, I'll shave. It gets itchy after a week and I find trying to sleep on the growing beard is a bit irritating. I also get pimply under the hair from ingrowns. So, I take a disposable, and a chunk of shaving soap I buy just for this. I get my soap from an ebay store called Susies Bubbles and Squeak. Best shaving soap ever. Pack a lightweight, cheap brush and I'm good. All together it weighs about 7 ounces and I don't really notice it.

Of course if it's less than say 4 days, I just let it grow.