Hello!

Posted by: Robotmoose

Hello! - 04/19/13 07:26 AM

I didn't really see an introductory area, so I thought I'd post a little intro shpeel here in the general Chit-Chat land. Hopefully that's cool; if not, Mods, if this is the wrong place to post, feel free to relocate this to where it belongs.

Anywho, Hello everyone, I'm Robot Moose, I've been lurking on the board for the better part of three weeks, and finally decided it was time to try and contribute to the community somewhat.
I'm located up near the north coast of the Golden State, I'm here because I love to backpack and hike and would like to share ideas amongst like-minded individuals. Other than that I work full time and attend the local community college toward the goal of eventually getting into the Park Ranger Academy.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Hello! - 04/19/13 11:27 AM

Hi Robotmouse

You'll find quite a few of house here from California...although most of us could probably use a little local advice from your part of the state.

Where do you like to hike these days?

Re: Hello! - 04/19/13 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By balzaccom
Hi Robotmouse

You'll find quite a few of house here from California...although most of us could probably use a little local advice from your part of the state.

Where do you like to hike these days?

Nice to meet you, sir!

I'm actually closer to you than you think!
I grew up out near Bodega, and now live near Calistoga, so I'm not really the North Coast as in Fort Bragg or Eureka, but more kind of Northbay, I guess. sorry for not wording that right.

Anyway, lately I've come to truly love the Oat Hill Mine Trail, talk about beauty! Especially up near the old Holme's place.
Another insanely beautiful spot is that oak grove in the Bothe State Park. It was one of those rare places where time ceased to have any meaning for a little while, caught up in the tangles of the lichen.

Beyond that, I'm just getting into the Mendocino National Forest, and would love to spend more time up in the Tahoe National Forest.

What about you? Any favorite spots in the local area you love to visit?
Other favorite destinations?

Re: Hello! - 04/19/13 12:59 PM

Balzaccom, if there's ever a time, I wouldn't mind learning a few things from you about Devil's Punchbowl. I've heard about it a few times, and always wanted to go!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Hello! - 04/21/13 10:59 PM

It's a great hike--the hardest part is the drive to the trailhead. we went in through Courtwright Reservoir. And if we had planned for a few more days, we would have spent them exploring more of Red Mountain Basin. Lovely area.