VBL opinions

Posted by: rockchucker22

VBL opinions - 01/04/13 08:38 PM

How many people are using VBL while in the backcountry? I know the two main purpose of a VBL is one to prevent moisture from affecting the down insulation and two to create a micro climate that is warmer than without a VBL. My concern is excessive sweat and stink. I always stink enough by the end of a trip, I don't need an extra layer of smell!

Also what's peoples thoughts about using a VBL with a quilt? What about a VBL as a emergency Bivy for day hikes??

Thanks for you time and opinions!

Re: VBL opinions - 01/05/13 01:00 PM

What no VBL love??
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: VBL opinions - 01/05/13 01:56 PM

VBL?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: VBL opinions - 01/05/13 03:04 PM

VBL = Vapor Barrier Liner

I use one (actually my non-breathable rain gear) inside my sleeping bag when it's below freezing. It keeps moisture from my body from condensing inside the outer shell of my sleeping bag and wetting out the down. I wear the suit over my base layer. If I need more clothing to help the sleeping bag keep me warm, it goes over the VBL so it stays dry. Note that my system will NOT work with waterproof/breathable (WPB) rain gear! My rain jacket and pants are silnylon.

Individuals differ as to what temp a VBL is comfortable. For me, it's right around 32*F/0*C for sleeping. I haven't tried a VBL for active moving--it doesn't get that cold around here. In other words, it takes some experimentation.

Good article here.

Re: VBL opinions - 01/05/13 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
VBL = Vapor Barrier Liner

I use one (actually my non-breathable rain gear) inside my sleeping bag when it's below freezing. It keeps moisture from my body from condensing inside the outer shell of my sleeping bag and wetting out the down. I wear the suit over my base layer. If I need more clothing to help the sleeping bag keep me warm, it goes over the VBL so it stays dry. Note that my system will NOT work with waterproof/breathable (WPB) rain gear! My rain jacket and pants are silnylon.

Individuals differ as to what temp a VBL is comfortable. For me, it's right around 32*F/0*C for sleeping. I haven't tried a VBL for active moving--it doesn't get that cold around here. In other words, it takes some experimentation.

Good article here.
Great article! Thanks OM, I was reading where some use it all year, with proper ventilation durring warmer months. I was looking at some bag liners as I've found I sometimes get quite a bit of sweat accumulate on my pad when camping for one to two weeks in single digit temps.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: VBL opinions - 01/07/13 02:22 AM

I've never used a VBL bag liner, and the idea doesn't appeal --- but then the idea of water vapor freezing in among the down in my bag appeals even less. I just don't get into temps that require it often enough to have ever used one.

I own VBL socks, and have used the poor man's version of those a time or two as well (bread bags or the like). Ditto for handwear. That's about it for me.

Re: VBL opinions - 01/07/13 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By BrianLe
I've never used a VBL bag liner, and the idea doesn't appeal --- but then the idea of water vapor freezing in among the down in my bag appeals even less. I just don't get into temps that require it often enough to have ever used one.

I own VBL socks, and have used the poor man's version of those a time or two as well (bread bags or the like). Ditto for handwear. That's about it for me.
Thank you your opinion means alot! thanks
Posted by: Samoset

Re: VBL opinions - 01/08/13 11:07 PM

Did it once with an emergency space blanket It turned a night that would have prob been no sleep with a possible side of hypothermia.

Into four good hours of sleep

I was young an inexperienced. But thank god I had the space blanket I was soaking wet when I came out of it, had to do jumping jacks by the fire while waiting for water for coffee?

Learned a lot on that trip. First thing was the few extra ounces of a heat sheet is worth it.