early winters bivy info

Posted by: Gregp

early winters bivy info - 12/28/12 11:44 AM

my grandfather gave me an old bivy he used for a lot of his trips for many years. i looked it up on google and theres not realy much info on it. i was hoping that maybe some of the older hikers could fill me in if they can. its got a tag on the side that says early winters. it looks a lot like amsr ac bivy but its green on top tan on bottom. will post pics wen i fined out how. thanks
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: early winters bivy info - 12/28/12 12:20 PM

Probably the Sleep Inn goretex bivy. First, to my knowledge, GT bivy made, as Early Winters was the first company to make GT rainwear and tents.

If it has frame hoops it might be the Pocket Hotel.

As long as the floor coating is okay it's still usable.

Cheers,
Posted by: oldranger

Re: early winters bivy info - 12/28/12 04:57 PM

EW was a pioneer in gore-tex; their first stuff was cutting edge. I'll bet your bivy is a winner unlessit is noticeably worn....

Re: early winters bivy info - 12/29/12 12:05 PM

no poles. the only thing i see that is worn is the seam seal and it smells very used lol. i have used it to sleep in the yard in the rain and even with no new seam seal it is water proof.

Re: early winters bivy info - 12/29/12 12:18 PM

based on the info you guys gave me i found this http://books.google.com/books?id=WOADAAA...ivy&f=false

the article about bivys has a black and white pic, it looks very close. hopefully i can fined something in color for positive verification.