Moose

Posted by: billstephenson

Moose - 12/22/12 11:42 AM

I think this is the moose I almost peed on in Yellowstone...

I was young and dumb and standing on the other side of the road looking up at his nose while doing it. eek
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Moose - 12/22/12 12:47 PM

What were you thinking?! Hmmm confused , the way this thing is growing it looks more like an oak than a pine tree...

That thing is huge! The legs are as thick as the trees! Bill, that's still my favorite story from this forum. My sense of humor does have a juvenile bent to it though. wink
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Moose - 12/23/12 10:02 AM

I laughed out loud. Funny story and a huge moose.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Moose - 12/27/12 10:08 PM

If I saw a moose that large and that close, I would start peeing too!
Posted by: JPete

Re: Moose - 12/28/12 06:45 AM

Good reason! I've mentioned on here before that in something like 65 years of hiking, backpacking and canoeing, the only critter bigger than a mosquito that has ever attacked me was a moose. I don't think it was actually as big as this one, but at the time of course he looked MUCH bigger. best, jcp
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Moose - 12/28/12 12:00 PM

The moose I saw really was that big. In fact, that photo is the only one I've run across that I could say that.

That was the first and only moose I've ever seen in the wild. If you consider that road is probably close to 8ft across, that gives us an idea of how big that moose is. I'd stood near quite a few Percherons and Clydesdales and remember thinking "Wow, a moose is way bigger than the biggest draft horses I've seen."

Since then, whenever I've seen photos or videos I've alway thought, "No, the moose I saw was bigger than that." Not this photo. This one looks right. And I really was standing there facing him from right on the edge of the other side of a road just like that one.

Now, I can honestly say I've stunned a moose with audacity, but I wouldn't recommend it. It could have turned out a lot worse. My burros have rolled on the ground laughing at me when I've done the same thing when they're around. mad