Google now mapping trails

Posted by: Dave H

Google now mapping trails - 10/24/12 10:02 AM

I would to hear opinions and thoughts on the news story that Google has started mapping trails. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/24/google-cameras-map-popular-grand-canyon-trails/ Pretty soon from the comfort of my desk I will be able to take virtual hikes. This may be good or bad not sure which just yet. It may encourage more people to try backpacking. Many may not bre prepareed since it will look so easy on Google. Then again I will be able to travel the world in a single afternoon to see places I would never have the time or money to see. Also it may help with trip prep if I can see the trail before I go. I was just curious others thoughts.
Posted by: lori

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/24/12 10:11 AM

I don't trust google. Working in social services meant googlemapping and sometimes ending up in the **wrong neighborhood***.

I can predict that in some areas, where the trails are often overgrown and get that way real fast, people relying on such things will be lost or turned around at an alarming rate.

Many of the shots on Google street view are pretty old, and the satellite images as well.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/24/12 11:37 AM

I use google to judge distances on roads. It was frustrating that I couldn't use it on trails. I had to do it different ways. It would be nice to do that on trails, especially with Google's topo feature.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/24/12 11:37 AM

I agree with Lori. There are enough errors in google's street and road maps that I would not trust the trail maps. However, I do like the idea of them adding trails, if for nothing else but to put something in all that empty space that is now on their maps of the wilderness areas! But I would definitely check the most recent "real" maps to before setting out on a trip. By the way, some "trails" on GPS maps are not there either. And as we all have experienced, even trails shown on USGS maps are sometimes not there any more. Google as well as GPS companies, do not go out and survey trails or create maps - they simply overlay existing maps and satallite images. The accuracy depends both on the quality and dates of the overlays, but also on the degree to which all layers of maps spatially match - not an easy task.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/24/12 01:41 PM

I guess if I see somebody hiking with a reeeeally funny backpack sprouting alien eyeballs on stalks, I'll at least know what it is. I'll withhold judgment until I see some results and yeah, virtual hiking in January--I'm there.

BTW, does it drive anybody else nuts that a lot of Google's satellite photos in mountainous regions are snowed in? Luckily, the Bing alternative is often snow-free. They also seem to have removed trails from the "terrain" maps.

Cheers,
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/24/12 05:32 PM

Over the years I've certainly met people hiking with antennas sticking out of their packs...using GPS to verify all the trails in Lassen National Park, for example.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/24/12 09:49 PM

Give me a camera and sign me up sounds to Me like someone is getting paid to hike!

Googleing available positions on this department as we speak.

Even if just a part time gig. I'm sure Google will pay well enough it could be worth the efforts!
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/25/12 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By Samoset
Give me a camera and sign me up sounds to Me like someone is getting paid to hike!

Googleing available positions on this department as we speak.

Even if just a part time gig. I'm sure Google will pay well enough it could be worth the efforts!

In the article, it says they are using volunteers.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/25/12 08:40 AM

Haha that's what I get for not reading the article First. Thanks G.

Well maybe trail maps on Google will reach such a demand that someday. Someone could eventually supplement there incomes doing freelance mapping for them!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/25/12 12:17 PM

This could lead to a situation like I always imagined with my Dad, who was a huge sports fan and die-hard Cincinnati Reds fan. I always pictured him retiring (unfortunately, he died before that happened) and contacting the Reds to become an usher at Crosley Field (yes, it was that long ago - I'm old!) The interview would have gone something like this:

(Thirty minutes of discussion about Robinson, Pinson, winning the World Series, etc.)

Them: So, we think you'd be a great usher. We need to talk about money: we were thinking $20 per game - how would that be?"

Dad: "Well, it's a little expensive, but I think I could come up with it."

smile
Posted by: Keith

Re: Google now mapping trails - 10/25/12 08:56 PM

I have already used Google Earth for G.C. trails. You can see the entirety of the N. Kaibab trail , the S. Kaibab Trail, most of the River Trail and Bright Angel Trail. Also the Clear Creek Trail and the Tonto in the Corridor area and beyond.

The trails show up better than the stupid red lines now that are supposed to show the trails but don't quite.

I've actually used a screen shot of the intersection of the N. Kaibab and Ribbon Falls trail to give to someone who had been there before with me but wanted something to have "just in case".

Of course, this may actually be helpful where there is tree cover and you can't actually see the photo of the trail itself. . . .