Animal Track Identification

Posted by: Gershon

Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 03:02 PM

Does anyone know what kind of track this is?

Thanks

Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 03:14 PM

Could be bighorn, location would help along with more pictures!
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 08:16 PM

Could be ET?

A size reference and knowing if this was a single print or if there where multiple?

If multiple where the prints stagerd like human foot prints woild look like or side by side like a galloping animal?

But from your pic I can't tell if the print is the side of a dime or a dinner plate?

Re: Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 08:47 PM

The track is about 2 1/2 to three in inches long. It's in the mud on the edge of a creek. It looks like the rear foot.

There are some other tracks ahead of it. They start at 3:40 into this video. I found it odd there was only one track of this type. It may not go with the ones ahead of it. There is no chance it was human made. I was bushwacking and there weren't any human prints in the ares. I watch for those as homeless people go in that general area and I try not to disturb them.

Re: Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 09:02 PM

Awesome video! I really like it, my son said we have to do one one our next trip. Deer, doe and a fawn.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 09:52 PM

Based on the vid I'd guess deer or elk. The still looks like it dragged its hoof, so based on just that shot I'd second "ET."

On a day hike last week I saw odd barefoot prints that I eventually realized were from somebody wearing those "toe" shoes. They conjured all sorts of theories before I figured that out.

Cheers,

Re: Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 10:27 PM

I think I'm going to go with ET chasing a fawn.

Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Animal Track Identification - 09/30/12 10:36 PM

It looks like the first print could have been elongated by slipping in the mud, and it could be two prints, not one.

To me, the print at 4:13 looks like it may have been made by a rabbit's hind legs, but it's hard to tell.

Great video! Thanks for sharing

Re: Animal Track Identification - 10/01/12 12:23 AM

Location would greatly help but I'm sticking to deer.
Posted by: lori

Re: Animal Track Identification - 10/01/12 01:38 AM

I think it's overlapping deer prints.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Animal Track Identification - 10/01/12 01:30 PM

Rick, a couple of years back when those "toe-shoes" first came out, I kept running to them on trail and thinking "who the HECK is out here running barefoot!" THEN someone showed me the "barefoot" vibram sole things.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Animal Track Identification - 10/01/12 01:34 PM

I agree with the overlapping deer prints (which a couple of people mentioned. At least in San Diego county, young deer can often have that print that looks like a fat equal sign with only a faint point. Those might even be a fawn with her mom.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Animal Track Identification - 10/01/12 01:38 PM

I also believe that its a doubled deer track . Almost like something spooked her and she steps her front hoof back to where the rear one was as it looks like there some weight displacement in th original still not the normal forward momentum tracks.