I could of kicked the bear I was so close

Posted by: hikerduane

I could of kicked the bear I was so close - 09/17/12 01:19 PM

This last weekend I got a motorcycle riding friend to go to Lassen Volcanic NP with me for a overnight camping trip. He had invited another guy, who had to stay home to babysit the dogs. Nice weekend, a breeze all afternoon, we had a campsite at North Summit Lake for Saturday night, a little sheltered from some of the wind. Quite a few sites were reserved, with no shows. I'm sure the wildfires in our area the last 6 weeks had something to do with it. Except for some light haze in the Lake Almanor Basin, the rest of the area looked and smelled great. After we exited the Park on Sunday late morning, a few miles past the south boundary, a bear materialized. I was going along on my bike about 50-55mph when out of the corner of my eye I see this young bear, a few years old maybe. Then flash, I was by it. No time to react, it was so close, if I'd seen it sooner, I could have stuck a leg out. My thoughts later, if I'd seen it sooner, I would have applied my brakes, which I'm sure would have caused me to hit it, whereas my speed sped me past it to where it passed behind my bike. I'm sure I burnt its nose hairs. smile My neighbor gets charged two weeks ago and now I almost hit one. Not the way I wanted to see a bear.
Duane
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: I could of kicked the bear I was so close - 09/17/12 01:24 PM

Wow, Duane - I'll bet you had a shot of adrenaline after that! Glad that it wasn't an even closer call...
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: I could of kicked the bear I was so close - 09/17/12 02:03 PM

Duane: Holy c#%p I almost plowed into a @)#*ing bear!!!
Bear: "Me hungry, need to find...wha?...me hungry, need to...."

It's just how they roll.

Cheers,
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: I could of kicked the bear I was so close - 09/17/12 03:59 PM

smile
Posted by: ndsol

Re: I could of kicked the bear I was so close - 10/05/12 06:39 PM

Saw this grizzly between Lake Louise and Moraine Lake two years ago. At least I was in a car, though I had been climbed Sentinel Pass (which is in the same area) just the day before.

Posted by: billstephenson

Re: I could of kicked the bear I was so close - 10/06/12 11:20 AM

Cool photo!

Love the way it's looking right into the camera.
Posted by: ndwoods

Re: I could of kicked the bear I was so close - 10/21/12 01:25 PM

Great shot!
I remember taking my granddaughters to Yosemite for a campover in Tuolumne and I told them it was appropriate to scare the bears away....when one came I had to sprint after them and grab them by the collar they got so close. Next time my instructions will be a little more explicit!:)