Underwear?

Posted by: DieselTwitch

Underwear? - 09/05/12 09:16 AM

So this maybe an odd question but what under wear do you recommend for backpacking?

Im sick of my boxers turning into a speedo every time I hike. I know this is a little off color but I'm seriouse about my question. I'm not much of a briefs type guy. They drive me crazy. Would just changing the fabric make a difference, Like silk?
Posted by: Blue_Ridge_Ninja

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 09:52 AM

Underarmour or similar synthetic wicking boxer-briefs for me.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 10:57 AM

I have some Jockey underwear that is some kind of a hybrid brief--longer leg than a normal brief. They look a bit like cycling shorts, but shorter in the leg. They are all synthetic, which means they dry in a about an hour after I wash them. I take two pair--so I can wash one each day, and wear clean undies all trip long.

And they are black, so they can also double as swimming trunks if I need them...

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 11:02 AM

Any links on where I might find those Balzaccom? Those sound like what Im looking for.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 11:41 AM

Ex-Officio makes men's underwear that are highly thought of on BackpackingLight (got a Highly Recommended rating there). I have women's briefs of the same fabric, and they are wonderful! Well ventilated fabric, no issues at all with chafing or fungus, dry in less than an hour after washing. I like them so much that I wear them for everyday use. Not only that, but the batch I bought over 4 years ago for daily wear are still going strong with absolutely no signs of wear.

I would avoid cotton if at all possible. It's very slow drying and once it gets sweaty and sticky, you will have big problems.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 01:44 PM

I currently use a pair of black polyester not-too-loose boxers that I bought about 5 years ago at Mervyn's. They can double as swim trunks. Whatever configuration or style you decide on, go for an all-synthetic material that feels good next to your skin.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 02:09 PM

I always used shorts with a built-in mesh brief, until a year or two ago, when they started chafing me (both of us were getting older, so I don't really know whether the problem was me or the brief.) I tried some boxer-briefs with shorts that didn't have the liner, and found out I really liked the longer leg (and that it was more comfotable to sleep in the boxers without the shorts.) Since then I've used REI's house brand, Ex Officio, UnderArmour, and Smartwool boxer briefs. I found that I liked the Ex Officio best, although there was nothing really wrong with the other three brands.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 03:26 PM

You could always wear a kilt and go commando.

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 04:39 PM

Thought about trying that, but the guys I hike with said I had to go last on the uphills if I did. smile
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 05:03 PM

I tried the commando once without a kilt during a 33 miler in two days. That was a horrible mistake. Experience is indeed the best teacher.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 05:28 PM

Seriously, I think commando with a kilt would be the most sanitary.

You can get paper underwear for about 10 cents a pair and use it for a firestarter each day on a long hike.

Re: Underwear? - 09/05/12 05:35 PM

Just to clarify: you meant to say, "with pants instead of a kilt," right? smile
Posted by: CJC

Re: Underwear? - 09/06/12 01:24 AM

2 pair of Under Armor compression shorts. 1 worn while the other one tries out from being washed the night before. On long trips I take along some silk boxers to put on after hiking and to sleep in. A luxury item!grin
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Underwear? - 09/06/12 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Just to clarify: you meant to say, "with pants instead of a kilt," right? smile

LOL. I'm sick so I'm not paying attention to proofreading or what I'm typing. HAHA. Oh, man, that was funny.

Pants without a kilt.. Classic.

Re: Underwear? - 09/06/12 01:41 PM

Remind me to stand upwind of your fires. smile

Re: Underwear? - 09/07/12 10:58 PM

I think I'm going to pass on the Commando style and kilts! :-/ I will however keep an eye out for Ex-Officio. Does any one know where I can find these are local stores?
Posted by: CJC

Re: Underwear? - 09/08/12 12:42 AM

Where at in CO?
Posted by: JPete

Re: Underwear? - 09/08/12 12:04 PM

DieselTwitch, Got mine in REI, best jcp