Repairing a tear in fly......

Posted by: Merrellman78

Repairing a tear in fly...... - 08/23/12 08:37 AM

On my recent camping/hiking trip, I noticed a small, dime-sized tear in the fly to my REI tent. Whats the best way to fix it?? Im thinking it might be too small to sew.....would a basic repair kit from Wal Mart do the trick?? Just wondering what I need to do the job the correct way...Thanks!!!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Repairing a tear in fly...... - 08/23/12 10:41 AM

Sew a small patch over it, then cover it with seam sealer, to make sure it doesn't leak.

Or if it is on the edge, where it won't matter if it leaks, just use a little ripstop tape...
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Repairing a tear in fly...... - 08/24/12 12:47 PM

This stuff seems to work fine and lasts, so long as the repair spot isn't constantly folded or stressed. Use an oversized piece for good adhesion and round off the corners.

Kenyon Ripstop Tape

Cheers,
Posted by: jgs

Re: Repairing a tear in fly...... - 09/02/12 10:07 PM

The ONLY way to repair once and forget it is to use a piece of ripstop and Seam Grip. Round corners on patch, apply Seam Grip to fly and to uncoated side of ripstop. It will be stronger than the original material. Be sure and coat both sides of patch and when dry sprinkle on some unscented powder to keep it from sticking to itself. I always patch the inside of the fly. TMHO FWIW. If its silnylon use the stuff from Gear Aid/McNett for that material.
Posted by: Merrellman78

Re: Repairing a tear in fly...... - 09/10/12 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice,all!!!