The (new) little cabin in the big mountains

Posted by: balzaccom

The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/20/12 09:43 AM

Normally by this time of year, we would have done at least one or two backpacking trips into the Sierra. And this year, with the lower snow levels, we had plans to really hit the mountains early and often.

But those plans have been put on hold.About two months ago we were idly scanning the real estate ads for Tuolumne County...and the next thing you know, we found ourselves buying a cabin up by Twain Harte. It's a nice location, with easy access to both Yosemite some of our favorite wilderness areas, like Emigrant, Hoover, and Carson-Iceberg. The price was right, even if the cabin needed a lot of work.

And what the heck, it was just a cabin, so how complicated could it be, right?

Well, it was a lot more complicated than we would have guesses. And after working through some ridiculous details with the fine public servants at Freddie Mac, we finally closed escrow about a week ago.

Of course, that meant that we couldn't leave town until we closed escrow, which was supposed to happen "any day" for over two weeks. And now there are a million things that we want to do up there...and so our last two weekends have been spent tearing off old plywood, ripping out old carpet, cleaning, connecting the water, electricity, septic and gas, and refinishing the woodwork.
Posted by: Rayman1968

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/20/12 01:06 PM

Congrats. I'd love to do something like this myself some day.

Post some pics.

Posted by: PerryMK

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/20/12 01:08 PM

Are you complaining or bragging? grin

Congratulations. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/20/12 02:42 PM

a little bit of both. The place needs a lot of work...currently hoping to get septic, water and gas connections repaired this week. But yeah, once we get it up and running, it will be a nice home base right near some of our favorite hiking areas...

Photos are on the blog on our website
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/20/12 04:17 PM

My folks had friends here and there who had a second home/cabin in the central Sierra, living in Modesto until 1965 when we moved to Nevada. We visited most of those communities from along 50 down to Sonora way and hit Yosemite a few times. Way to go, a nice place to go when it gets hot in the valley. I'd like to be a snow bird when I retire in 7 years, camp here and there in the desert and visit the foothill communities, come home once a month maybe to shovel snow.
Duane
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/20/12 09:12 PM

IS there winter access?

Sometimes its easier to plow em down and start over, especially if its old eough to have alot of code problems.

Perhaps the nicest fix, if your local codes permit, is to replace it with a modern manufactured home. For 40 to 60 k you can buy a mansion and people will give you one if you are there when the are ready to replace it. One neat thing about them is that no foundation is required although skirting is a good idea.

So how sound are the floors and roof? Windows? have em? do they open? new jeldwens are nice, get high e.

Have you had an experienced inspector look at it?

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it, because thats where you will be heading out to. I think you may want to stay up there in the summers. My home here in Bend by the lava flow is definitely a "cabin in the mountains". Its 80 miles to the first house west of us. Its pretty awesome living the life of the "mountain man".

Jim smile

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/21/12 12:37 AM

Hi Jim

If you check out the photos on our blog, you'll see that there is some really wonderful craftman-style wood working in this one. The basic bones are really well made and in great shape. The stuff that people added later needs to be removed...and a friend in the area is a contractor, so he has not only inspected, but is advising us. Should be a pretty trick little cabin when we are done!
Posted by: BZH

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/21/12 12:11 PM

I agree, the bones look solid and the stone work is beautiful! It looks like you picked up a nice piece of property. How much land did it come with?

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/22/12 01:01 AM

half an acre in the Stanislaus National Forest.
Posted by: intrek38

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/22/12 09:42 AM

Congrats on your new home, nice area to live. Home is what you make it, whether it be a tent or a mansion. I'm sure many adventures are sure to come your way. Just make sure to get in at least one good trip this year, we sure do enjoy your reports.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains - 05/24/12 12:57 AM

Congradulations to you two! What a great find.