noisy gear

Posted by: dale

noisy gear - 02/04/12 03:59 PM

My external frame pack has a maddening squeak caused by the webbing rubbing against the frame when I walk. What is the best way to remedy this problem?

Thanks
Posted by: Pika

Re: noisy gear - 02/04/12 04:07 PM

I used to use either candle wax or powdered graphite at the rub location. Candle wax is not as messy as the graphite.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: noisy gear - 02/04/12 05:10 PM

Get an internal frame pack?

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Have you tried changing the tension on the mesh backband? (I'm assuming this is an older-style pack, where the backband periodically had to be tightened.) That used to help with mine.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: noisy gear - 02/04/12 10:58 PM

I'll second the graphite suggestion. And yes, it is dirty. But what the heck--we're backpacking, right?
Posted by: tramp

Re: noisy gear - 02/04/12 11:31 PM

Clean the frame. Dirt and dust combined with loose joints can cause creaks and squeaks.
Posted by: dale

Re: noisy gear - 02/05/12 10:52 AM

Yeah, I know - internal frame is in my furture, but in the meantime, I appreciate the other ideas. Have to rework my budget. I'm converting from being a mountain biker, so most of my gear $$ have been tied up with that for a while.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: noisy gear - 02/06/12 10:44 AM

Not putting much weight in the pack will help. Using wax is also a great idea. Electrical tape put under the webbing might also work.
Posted by: Pete A.

Re: noisy gear - 02/13/12 09:37 AM

I've used athletic tape before. I've also returned a Sitka pack for that reason (thought it was designed to be a hunting pack, so squeaking was a big deal).