OR7 wolf getting close to home

Posted by: hikerduane

OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/13/12 08:51 AM

Just saw this on the online version of my local rag, The Bull.

http://plumasnews.com/mcondon/9015-wandering-gray-wolf-confirmed-to-be-in-lassen-county

Seems this guy is getting around. Of course Lassen County is pretty big.

Duane
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/13/12 01:08 PM

I doubt he's going to find a girlfriend unless he turns around and goes back!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/13/12 01:14 PM

He's got a heck of a range, and this snowless winter is a great one for getting around.

I'm having a lot of fun reading rancher reaction to this "invasion." A lot of fuss over a single critter--you'd think he was armed with a howitzer.

Cheers,
Posted by: aimless

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/13/12 02:02 PM

Ranchers seem to be worriers. This gives them a break from worrying about the weather. wink

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/13/12 08:26 PM

My reaction too. If we would of had more snow, would that have prevented him from wandering so far? Wolverines and now wolves back in CA.
I actually have a very close connection to the wolf re-introduction in Jellystone.
Duane
Posted by: Hikin Jim

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/13/12 08:51 PM

Wolverines too? Yipes.

HJ

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/13/12 09:45 PM

HJ, you didn't see that the last couple years? The same wolverine south of me and north of Truckee on SPI land. I swear I saw Elk early one morning too. Did not realize what I might have seen until I was past and it dawned on me, Elk? Along Hwy 70. Some "hunters" a few years ago got ticketed for having them in their possession, so it makes sense I might have seen Elk.

Duane
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/17/12 06:45 PM

Here's a photo of him.

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/17/12 08:17 PM

Thanks Bill.

Duane
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/17/12 10:22 PM

Here is that wolverine you were talking about Duane

wolverine video

The wolverine is BAD, as in tough and not scared of anything. A vestige of the Ice Age's.

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/17/12 10:36 PM

Thank you. I thought I saw a Wolverine on a bp trip close to Yosemite 20 years ago or less, but he was a rust color, so it may not have been one.

Duane
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: OR7 wolf getting close to home - 01/18/12 01:15 AM

Wait, here's a better shot:

Okay, okay, this really is (or was) the prize winner in the Natural History Museum's wildlife photo contest a couple year's ago. Except it was a fake and not wild at all.