Plastic Taste

Posted by: rodwha

Plastic Taste - 10/16/11 08:03 PM

Is there a way to reduce or neutralize the plastic taste from the hydration bladder?
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Plastic Taste - 10/17/11 06:48 AM

Yes. Use a Nalgene bottle. smile

I'm sorry; it's early Monday morning where I am, and I needed a little kick-start to my week. The only bladder I use is an MSR Dromlite, and I only use that for carrying filtered water to a dry camp. I've never detected any plastic taste, even in water that's been sitting overnight.

However, I did (a couple years ago) buy the hose and fitting to turn it into a hydration system, just to see if I might want to make the switch. I did notice a slight plastic taste after attaching the hose. Could it be that the taste is coming from the tube, not the bladder?
Posted by: lori

Re: Plastic Taste - 10/17/11 07:37 AM

You could add your own flavoring to cover it over, or rinse eternally, or buy a different brand and try that.

People seem to have problems with this - I use Platypus, never tasted anything but the chlorine in the tap water I start out with, others say there's aftertaste with theirs. Same with Camelbak; people swear they don't leave a taste, I've had one that did.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Plastic Taste - 10/17/11 03:36 PM

I'm wondering if it's the hose, too. I've used Platypus bottles for years and never had an aftertaste. I have had an aftertaste from the old-style Nalgenes (the cloudy ones made with #2 plastic).