crampons for size 14 plus boots

Posted by: skcreidc

crampons for size 14 plus boots - 06/27/11 06:48 PM

I currently have a pair of Petzl crampons with the long bars that supposedly fit up to size 15 boots. Perhaps my boots are too curved but they barely fit on my mountaineering boots. I like the crampons but I am worried about the fatigue on the bar I am so close to the end. I have contacted Petzl and am waiting and the other option I can think of is having a pair of bars custom made (I have already designed them) locally. Does anyone see any other options. My old crampons barely fit size 12 mens so using them is out. I'm going back in on around the 10th so I need to get this sorted.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

Chris
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: crampons for size 14 plus boots - 06/30/11 10:18 AM

I have the opposite problem- cannot get them small enough and have to saw off part of the bar. Crampons are designed for a stiff soled boot. You may have to look into getting different crampons. When I really needed crampons, I also really needed a stiff soled boot. Do you really need crampons? There are other traction devises out there (although I have not used them). Any soft soled boot that bends a lot will put quite a bit of stress on the crampon and when the bar is fully extended, I would worry about breakage. Go to a good climbing store and see what they say.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: crampons for size 14 plus boots - 06/30/11 05:39 PM

I have two different pairs of size 14 boots; the Merrell backpacking, and the La Sportiva Mountaineering. Like my old Raichle boots, the La Sportiva's are made for crampon use if necessary and have that groove at the heel. Even with my abuse, the La Sportiva's still seem stiff enough to me and seemed just fine with the crampons in the White Mtn. range (I tried to avoid being on the front 4 exclusively as much as possible to minimize stress on the bar). I picked up the Petzl's because they supposedly fit larger sized boots whereas the other brands I saw did not. Not sure there IS a good climbing store in San Diego when it comes to crampons. Could be the lack of ice grin . That is why I having custom bars made (with room to spare just in case my feet get even larger). Maybe I'll have to do some window shopping in Wy and Co when I go to the Winds in late August. Call me paranoid but this is one of those items I like to hold in my hands before I purchase.

Oh, my next trip is to the region between Merriam and the Royce Lakes in the Sierra Nevada so I am thinking it would be good to take a pair along.