New guy here.....

Posted by: rabbitearscarver

New guy here..... - 06/17/11 11:05 PM

Hi, all. Just a quick note to say hi, and am glad I found the site. We live here in Steamboat Springs, CO. Been camping and hiking and backpacking and flyfishing most of my life and I still love it. I've passed along the stoke to my boys 11 and 13. We're planning a trip this summer to the Wind River range, and of course we'll do some here in the Zirkel Wilderness and the Flattops as well.

So.. hoping to contribute what I know and to learn what I can.

Any questions about Northwest Colorado camping, I'm your guy!

Thanks-

Dave
Posted by: TomD

Re: New guy here..... - 06/17/11 11:09 PM

Welcome Dave. I'm sure your local knowledge will come in handy for some of the members. As you can see, the focus here is on lighweight gear, so any questions about that, just ask. Most questions have been asked over and over, so read my post about how to use the search engine. Not to discourage you from asking questions, just to note that there is a lot of info buried in the past posts that may be of use to you.
Posted by: rabbitearscarver

Re: New guy here..... - 06/17/11 11:44 PM

Thanks, Tom. Looks like you're from near my old stomping grounds. Born and raised in Hermosa Beach, moved outta there in '74, been in the high country ever since. Still miss the ocean and surfing, but snowboarding has filled the gap somewhat...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: New guy here..... - 06/18/11 05:14 PM

Lots of interest about snow conditions this year! I'm planning a Wind Rivers trip in August, hoping the stuff will melt by then! Since you're closer to the scene, maybe you'd be willing to give us progress reports? Out here in the Pacific NW we are having the same problem--200% of normal, cold wet spring (still going on), snow levels still way down.

And welcome! I spent every summer in your area as a teenager and have been back a few times since. Marvelous country!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: New guy here..... - 06/19/11 12:09 AM

Welcome Dave. My brother and sis-in-law live in 'Junction. I went to the Winds last summer for six nights, quite a drive from work in western NV in one day. Gotta go back.