Melty, Meltier, Meltiest

Posted by: Rick_D

Melty, Meltier, Meltiest - 06/14/11 03:58 PM

The event I've been anticipating/dreading has arrived--the year's first heatwave. Mid-90s here in the valley means the Sierra can start shucking that snowy winter coat.

If you're going, be ready for high streams, creeks and rivers, and creeks where you wouldn't normally expect them (like the trail itself). And put the sunscreen everywhere, including under your chin, nose, arms, etc. where reflection off the snow can fry you but good. Hard to believe the longest day of the year is in just a week.

My best, uneducated estimate is we're six weeks behind normal for trails opening, at least in the northern Sierra. Think I'm going to dig out the hammock.

Cheers,
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Melty, Meltier, Meltiest - 06/14/11 09:02 PM

Actually the creek that runs thru my property has been down the last couple weeks, may come up to my "stick" if it warms up. Another reason may be the snow level has moved up and there is less snow to melt except for higher up. Finally hit the 70's on Sunday up here in Plumas County. Snow is still blocking access to some snags I want for firewood. I figure it will be another two weekends at least before I can get to them, but I was able to buck up a small windfall from a year ago that I wanted for this season. Dogwoods should be in full bloom, I thought they would have been there a week ago.