Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt

Posted by: Steadman

Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt - 05/01/11 08:45 PM

I'm getting ready to take the kids out in June, and I'm looking for a new baselayer t-shirt, mostly because my sleeping spare isn't comfortable under a backpack waistbelt - the really thin fabric bunches up and then cuts/abrades my sides.

My question is if Capilene 1 or Capilene 2 do the same thing? I'd like some opinions before I plunk 20-40 bucks down do experiment, and I know that some of you all use Capilene for your baselayers and would have some opinions on its use.

Oh.. late add on... intended use is multiseason, east coast, mostly along the AT in VA. Mulitseason includes summer, and not as much of late winter as the westerners here are used to...

Thanks a bunch

Steadman
Posted by: thecook

Re: Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt - 05/01/11 10:29 PM

If you are looking for short sleeves try Target and Walmart. I use the Target C9 shirts which work pretty well and have gotten them for $5-10. Others speak highly of the Walmart rip off of underarmour which are similarly priced.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt - 05/02/11 07:34 AM

I used to use the silkweight Capilene T-shirts as my summer shirt; then they changed the labeling - I think Capilene 1 is the equivalent to the old silkweight; you might try. I was very pleased with the silkweight's performance. In particular, I didn't seem to get that momentary "chill" you sometimes get, even on a hot, humid August day, when you've been perspiring, and stop. I also never noticed any particular stink to the garment (at least, none that didn't wash right out.)

A friend talked me into trying a Smartwool Microweight T-shirt; I liked it a tiny bit better than the Capilene, and it's now my preferred summer shirt. I'm not sure why, since it doesn't really perform any better than the Capilene; I guess it just feels a bit more comfortable - or perhaps a bit less "slick" than the synthetic material?

Re: Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt - 05/03/11 03:34 PM

Glenn

You sold me. I found a Smartwool T-shirt on sale for the price of Capilene and bought it... it's a test, so I'll gladly see how it works out.

the cook

Thank you... now I know how to safely outfit my growing rugrats at a price I can afford...

Sincerely

Steadman
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt - 05/03/11 05:41 PM

Steadman, where did you find a Smartwool t-shirt on sale? Hopefully online somewhere. OldScout.

Re: Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt - 05/04/11 08:28 PM

Sent a PM, but here is the site:

http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=485&manufacturerid=46&flag=ok

Shipping is a factor here.
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Capilene 1 vs 2 under a backpack waistbelt - 05/05/11 12:14 PM

OK, thanks for the information.