A bad taste in my mouth

Posted by: ahawks

A bad taste in my mouth - 03/18/11 06:20 PM

I received a Platypus Big Zip hydration bladder for Christmas and I was really excited because of all of the features it has. The first time I used it I didn't wash it out all that well and noticed almost instantly that there was a pretty bad taste to it. Thinking that it just needed a thorough washing I took it home and used soap and water and thought I did a pretty good job. Used it again and it still has a really bad plastic taste. It seems like it comes from the mouth piece and kind of goes away when its really cold (I used it while x-country skiing last). I thought the Platypus bladders weren't supposed to have any bad taste, did I just get a bad one or is it just something that is inherent of all bladders or is there a way to get rid of the taste?
Thanks in advance!
Posted by: lori

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/18/11 06:37 PM

I wonder if they changed the way they make them or something. None of my Platys have imparted any flavor to any of my water. I have a Big Zip that's a couple years old.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/18/11 06:59 PM

Speculation on my part but I find that the hose, rather than the bladder usually is to blame. Try filling the bladder, letting it sit and then drinking straight from the opening without the hose. If no "flavor" then the hose is your culprit.

If it's the container, I'd return for an exchange. CD is pretty adament the Platys don't flavor the water and I'd agree, from the several I've owned. Now the Dromedary bags are another story.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By ahawks
I received a Platypus Big Zip hydration bladder for Christmas and I was really excited because of all of the features it has. The first time I used it I didn't wash it out all that well and noticed almost instantly that there was a pretty bad taste to it. Thinking that it just needed a thorough washing I took it home and used soap and water and thought I did a pretty good job. Used it again and it still has a really bad plastic taste. It seems like it comes from the mouth piece and kind of goes away when its really cold (I used it while x-country skiing last). I thought the Platypus bladders weren't supposed to have any bad taste, did I just get a bad one or is it just something that is inherent of all bladders or is there a way to get rid of the taste?
Thanks in advance!
Posted by: jpersonna

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/18/11 07:06 PM

I've been using a ~2L platypus mountain biking and hiking for years. Wore one out, and felt that after a couple hundred rides I shouldn't bother them about the lifetime guarantee.

My experience is that if you only use water, rinse and drain within 24 hours, you're golden.

I've gotten one slightly funky and been ok with a strong salt water wash.

I got one funkier than that and had to use dish soap, and then the salt water.

Other than that, it's my ritual to suck and spit three times at the start of a ride or hike. If there's a plastic taste, that's when I taste it.

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/20/11 09:16 AM

It occurs to me now that my extra cleaning efforts were on my Gregory bladder and not my Platypus. Sorry. The P has been easier to maintain.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/20/11 09:50 AM

My son used his Platy Last week for the first time. Same problem. I tried it and I think the bad taste comes from the bite valve. It Is Nasty! I hope it gets better or it needs to go in the Garbage!
Posted by: Jmeyers

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/21/11 08:35 PM

I've never had a problem with my Platy. It could be stale water in the hose maybe but it wouldn't explain the plastic taste.

Just in case, what you can do is detach the hose and spin it rapidly. This will cause the water in the hose to fly out.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/21/11 09:41 PM

It wasnt stale water in our case. Water hadnt been in there a couple hours and was cool.

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 03/22/11 12:01 PM

I hope it gets better with use. Rinse well, including mouthpiece, keep dry until next use, over-fill, let some drain through the mouth piece, and of course suck-spit three times at the base of the trail, as a ritual.
Posted by: bigwaterbill

Re: A bad taste in my mouth - 04/13/11 07:34 PM

I've had a couple different bladders and they all taste like plastic or some chemically funkiness. It has eventually gone away in every case. Now, when I buy a new one, I run water through it for a long time over the course of a couple days, store water in it in the fridge and pour it out and wash it several times before using it. Bottom line - it has always gone away after 10 or more uses for me.