Backpacking pants

Posted by: smith70

Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 02:44 AM

Looking to hear everyone's philosophy on backpacking pants: convertible/zip-offs vs regular, waterproof vs more breathable, slim vs baggy, etc. Favorite models or brands? Lightweight or do-it-yourself alternatives?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 04:02 AM

There's a rather long thread on convertible pants in the Light Gear Talk section. Click on "Light Gear Talk and go down the list a ways; last post was March 4. Or do a search (see the sticky thread at the beginning of General Discussion).
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 08:16 AM

Oregonmouse is right, the regular vs zip off is covered about as much as it can be in that thread here is a link to it.
http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=147111#Post147111

I think as far as waterproof from what I understand (and I'm pretty new to all this, so I could be mistaken) most people use a material like nylon that dries so quick its really not an issue anyway. Usually waterproof also means it doesn't breathe too well and thats probably not going to be too comfortable for long. If I'm mixed up about that someone please correct me.
Posted by: lori

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 11:07 AM

I will only add (since there are other threads to peruse on the subject of pants) that waterproof pants are only a good idea if it is very cold while you are hiking. If it's raining and above 45F I will hike in nylon pants as I always do, because to do otherwise would mean soaking myself in my own sweat. The only reason to wear rain pants is to prevent hypothermia. If the nylon pants are wet when I get to camp I'll swap into my base layer bottoms and put the waterproof pants over those until I go to bed, and let the nylon pants dry under shelter.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 04:06 PM

Clothing choices are always weather dependent. In winter temps above zero (+15-30F or so range), I have worn a Capilene midweight bottom with Marmot Precip pants that have a full side zip while snowshoeing or skiing.

At higher temps-above freezing, but still relatively cold (40-50F or so), even with some rain, I've worn the Capilene under nylon shorts like Glenn mentioned on the other thread.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By lori
I will only add (since there are other threads to peruse on the subject of pants) that waterproof pants are only a good idea if it is very cold while you are hiking.

I only like waterproof pants when it is between 20F and 45F. Colder or hotter, I like breathable pants. Actually, I wear breathable pants all the time and only put on a rain/slush layer when it is raining and above 30F. Below 30F I put on knee high gators and let the snow fall on my breathable pants. smile
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 05:01 PM

If conditions permit the best hiking pants are.......running shorts.

YMMV.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 05:13 PM

I started the other thread, and for whatever it's worth, I ended up ordering both the full leg and zip off versions - and sending both back.

Neither version fit me well, and I ended up deciding that, rather than spend anymore time or money trying to find something I might wear twice a year for half a day, I'd just stick with what I knew: shorts, buffered with either Smartwool tights, long gaiters, or rain pants as appropriate.
Posted by: smith70

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/15/11 10:07 PM

This is my current practice. I'm glad someone agrees, but I wanted to see what I was missing out on, if anything.
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/16/11 01:54 PM

LOL, after all that???? Good grief, Charlie Brown.
Posted by: dragoro

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/16/11 03:42 PM

I use rain pants both for rain and for keeping warm on cold days/nights.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Backpacking pants - 03/16/11 07:06 PM

I know, I know. What can I say? blush