Pictures from winter trip.

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 01:10 PM

This is a long overdue, but I've been busy and couldn't find the card to transfer the pictures to the computer until now. lol. These pictures are from the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in December.

Backpacking partner

Me^
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 03:21 PM

Nice!

Looks like a sweet trip. Love that clear water too.

It's similar, but still quite different than the Ozarks. I've never been there, but I'd sure like to visit someday.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 03:34 PM

Nice hike - can't get over how GREEN things are for December! grin
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 04:14 PM

Yep,I am going again first week in April. I spent two Christmas's in a row there with my Dad backpacking in High school. It wasnt ideal to me at that age, but I cherish the memory now! I was ther last April as well. I plan to only be on At one night at Silers Bald. My son and I will do side trails to avoid the busy tru hikers at the shelters!
Good Times!
Posted by: Geezer

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 06:59 PM

Is there any winter fly fishing in that area and how good is the fishing?

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By Geezer
Is there any winter fly fishing in that area and how good is the fishing?

Yes. We did some fly fishing, but didn't catch any at this time. The 2nd picture we fly fish that entire stretch. There was a deep hole just 15 yards from where I took picture. My backpacking partner claimed that creek has produced 50 fish in a single trip during spring/summer. Only problem is, you gotta fight the bears for it. He claim to see more bears in this area of the park than anywhere else in the national park. He said he was flying fishing last spring and he heard a noise and behind him there was a branch hanging over the creek and a black bear was just laying on the branch starring at him. lol. Guys I ride bikes with loves backcountry trout fishing in the Smoky Mountain.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 10:22 PM

Nice pictures - looks like you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/16/11 11:34 PM

Great pics. That is an area I have only driven through but definately want to backpack - sometime...

What is the tent on the right in the second pic? I don't recognize it.

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/17/11 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By thecook
Great pics. That is an area I have only driven through but definately want to backpack - sometime...

What is the tent on the right in the second pic? I don't recognize it.

Eureka Zeus EXO. It belongs to my partner. He asked if I wanted his tent for one I have. No deal. :)(he was joking, but still. lol) I really like the Big Agnes Seedhouse. smile
Posted by: thecook

Re: Pictures from winter trip. - 02/17/11 11:54 AM

Thanks. I've never used either one but from what I've heard definitely don't trade.