What the best choice for camping in the forest?

Posted by: stonemark

What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/30/10 08:50 PM

hi, I've been asked a question that, when you are planning an hike in the forest, and must camping in the woods, so what's your choice? Tent,Hammock or just a sleeping bag is ok?
Posted by: aimless

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/30/10 09:06 PM

A sleeping bag provides you with a way to stay warm. A tent provides you with some protection from bad weather and from bugs.

Hammocks all provide you with a way to sleep above the ground, which many people find more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Hammocks designed for backpacking may also provide some of the protection from weather that a tent provides.

You did not mention tarps, but they also can be used to keep rain off you, or to divert wind away from you.

You can be in the forest in very warm, dry weather and not even need a sleeping bag, a tent or a hammock. The conditions you expect to meet will determine the choice of what gear you must bring.

My own choice is usually a sleeping bag and tent, with a sleeping pad underneath me. But I choose these because of the places where I hike and the weather that I hike in.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/30/10 09:48 PM

Too many variables. If I'm going solo and it's not too cold and there are a lot of (the right kind of) trees, I like the hammock approach to allow camping away from established sites, and/or to just hike until darkness and stop when two trees are found.

When not a lot of rain or otherwise bad weather is anticipated, a very light bivy and poncho tarp are a light approach that I quite like. Or in winter, a better tarp and beefier bivy sack.

In a dry climate where bugs aren't anticipated, dewfall and rain are rare, it's great to carry just a poncho as backup rain gear and shelter both, but mostly just cowboy camp (as you say "just a sleeping bag".

Otherwise, some sort of tent, and the right tent depends on anticipated conditions too --- by default for me a light single-walled tent, but there are exceptions ...

I just don't see a one-sized fits all. If I could only own one shelter I suppose it would be a light tent.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/31/10 07:51 AM

What the others say is correct: when conditions cooperate, in hot, clear, bug-free weather, just a light blanket and plastic groundcloth is plenty.

As a practical matter, I never rely on conditions cooperating. Weather has a nasty habit of changing without warning. So, when I plan for a trip, I always include a sleeping bag and tent. For most trips in a forest, when it's not winter, my tent will be a double-wall tent: the inner tent will have as much mesh as possible, and the outer fly will be waterproof. Unless it's raining, I rarely use the fly; I just pitch the inner tent for protection from bugs.

Single wall tents, hammocks, and tarps also work well; I'm not a fan, but I'm not a detractor, either. My own choice of a tent (MSR Hubba or Carbon Reflex) is strictly a matter of personal preferences (based on how and where I hike), and not objective, quantifiable criteria. There are many other equally valid choices.
Posted by: phat

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/31/10 11:16 AM

Personally, if I'm in forest, I am usually using my hammock.

Posted by: verber

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/31/10 11:46 AM

As others have said "It depends". In warmer conditions, a hammock that has a fly to protect against rain, and built in bug netting (if bugs are a problem) can be a really great option. Unfortunately, I don't sleep well in a hammock so it's not an option I can choice. When it cold (say less than 0C/32F) you need more insulation under you then when sleeping on the ground.

So for me, the answer is either a tarp (if there are no bugs), or a tarptent (tarp with bug netting) to keep small biting creatures away.

Remember than you want a pad with with sleeping bag or quilt. The pad not only provides cushioning, but also insulation which is needed as it gets colder.

--Mark
Posted by: lori

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/31/10 11:46 AM

If I'm in a forest, I always have a hammock. I stay dry, clean, warm and comfortable under all conditions, provided I have brought the right gear with me.
Posted by: Outcasthiker

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/31/10 07:26 PM

The important thing is to get out and camp. How and where are irrelivent.
I use a hammock when camping alone or with the boys. When I go with my wife I use a tent. I have gone with just a bag and carried a tarp incase it rained. If I know it's not going to rain, I don't use the tarp over the hammock or the rainfly over the tent. There is nothing better than sleeping under the stars.
Posted by: chimpac

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 12/31/10 08:25 PM

Forest means wood and fire to me.
The choice is so simple for me. To many on the forum I sound like a broken record.
1. A roof over my head, a rectangular tarp. Pitched to match the weather, closed in or open shade.
2.No trace wood fire in a stove with a chimney under the tarp, winter or summer.
I like a full net bivy in the bug season to sleep under the tarp.
I would find no more comfort with an expensive tent and certainly not with a gas stove cooking outside.
The weight of the tarp chimney/stove outfit for 2 people near 5 lbs.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? - 01/03/11 10:48 PM

I will define my answer a little. For 3 season (not winter) in trees, I want a hammock. My back thanks me every time. Because I sleep pretty good on snow and my BA air core, I use a bivy and tarp in the snow in a forest.