New to the forums!

Posted by: Canyonero

New to the forums! - 07/18/10 12:23 PM

Hi all, I didn't see a meet and greet subforum, so I hope it's OK to post here.

I recently took up backpacking again in my early fifties after a layoff of about fifteen years. Back in the day, I did quite a few trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe area of northern Minnesota, the Colorado Rockies, and southeast Utah's redrock canyon country.

I realized right away I can't pack the type of loads I used to, so I started hunting around for information about lighter weight gear, and found this site. I've already found some really good information that's helped me start to pare my load down.

I just finished my first overnighter down here in the San Juan mountains, on a section of the Colorado trail known as the Highline Loop. It was a great trial run, and gave me quite a few ideas for reworking my gear, and how to travel comfortably in this area.

So anyway, I look forward to hanging around here, learning what I can, and maybe contributing some useful information!
Posted by: aimless

Re: New to the forums! - 07/18/10 02:01 PM

Welcome! I think you'll find this is about the best place going for tapping experienced hikers, while avoiding (most of)the bickering and nastiness that too often characterizes the internet. Not that it's perfect, but it's close enough! smile
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: New to the forums! - 07/18/10 04:39 PM

I agree--the discussion here, while sometimes quite passionate, seem to avoid the kind of nastiness you often find on the internet.

Must be all that time we get, decompressing in the mountains!
Posted by: MoTiger

Re: New to the forums! - 07/19/10 02:47 PM

yup, lots of great info from knowledgable and friendly folks on here, welcome!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: New to the forums! - 07/22/10 10:18 PM

We acually bp! Welcome.