I need the help of the Texans, not the Canadians

Posted by: finallyME

I need the help of the Texans, not the Canadians - 04/22/10 09:21 AM

This isn't for me, but my brother in Dallas. He has been helping out the scouts in his area and just realized they go camping a lot. Sometimes.....even backpacking. He also realized his bag is too heavy (not surprising considering he bought it at wally world). Anyways, I don't need a bag recommendation, only a Temperature recommendation. He will use it spring, summer and fall in Northern Texas. When I lived in San Antonio, my 60F bag worked great. But I am not sure about the northern part of that massive state. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: I need the help of the Texans, not the Canadians - 04/22/10 09:39 PM

He can pick up a Slumberjack 20F over at BassPro for around $80 if he watches for sales. SportsAuthority across from VistaRidge Mall also has a few good bags.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 20F. If he uses a 30F, he'll have problems in Dec/Jan when those norther's roll through. But depending if he is a warm sleeper or cold, he might could get away with it and use insulated clothing and a liner. Obviously the 30F would weigh less and pack smaller. And it wouldn't be as hot during summer months.

My son and I started out with the SJ's and they did fine. He picked up a NorthFace Cat's Meow at the Scout Buck auction and started using that. It is also rated at 20F, but he is a blazing inferno when it come to sleeping warm or cold. The NF is too narrow for me.

Now, I use a Ray Way quilt (with alpine upgrade) and it takes me down to 20's with insulated clothing.

He can go by REI off of 635 & Marsh and try out several different brands and styles.

Let me know if that helps or if you need more info.

Tango61
Posted by: finallyME

Re: I need the help of the Texans, not the Canadians - 04/23/10 10:19 AM

What about 40F or 50F April to October? Will it drop below 60 in June, July, August and September?
Posted by: Dryer

Re: I need the help of the Texans, not the Canadians - 04/23/10 02:30 PM

Quote:
Will it drop below 60 in June, July, August and September?

Not likely. In fact it usually doesn't drop below 90f.
I sometimes go to a fleece blanket. My go-to Texas bag is a 20deg NF Chrysalis semi-rectangular. I think Campmor puts their name on those now. You can shake the down to the bottom side of the bag to cool it off.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: I need the help of the Texans, not the Canadians - 04/23/10 11:47 PM

+1 to what Dryer said.

December - Feb it can down into the low 20's at night, although usually it is in the mid 30's - 40's.

March - May things start warming up and night time temps will be 40 - 60.

June - Aug/Sep it is not unusual for temps to stay up into the 80's until 3-4am. Sometimes it will drop into the 60's if a front moves through.

So just as with clothing, you often have to layer your sleep system. I carry a fleece blanket sometimes during summer and I also have a Sportsman's Guide 50F bag that I use as a quilt.

As a general, overall recommendation I would go with a 20F bag knowing that most of the less expensive brands are generous with that rating.