Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June

Posted by: Nick_

Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June - 04/20/10 09:54 PM

Hello,
I'm planning a trip in Ansel Adams Wilderness at the end of May. We'll be around 9'000 feet. I'm curious what kind of weather we'll be seeing. Still snow on the ground? Daytime temps?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Nick
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June - 04/20/10 11:45 PM

Call the FS in Mammoth or the Visitors Center in Lee Vining. Also, many knowledgeable folks at HighSierraTopix. May is still a bit early, I live at 4000' and there is still a tiny bit of snow and I cannot go up the FS roads more than a mile from home, gaining a hundred feet in elevation.
Posted by: lori

Re: Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June - 04/20/10 11:56 PM

End of June, maybe. End of May there will still be snow - it's snowing right now! And early spring is also the time of year creek crossings are at their most dangerous.
Posted by: Nick_

Re: Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June - 04/21/10 01:45 AM

Thanks for the pointer to HighSierraTopix, hikerduane. I've posted the question over there as well.

Nick
Posted by: CamperHiker

Re: Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June - 04/22/10 06:04 PM

End of June would be better. I also live at 4500 ft. + and it snowed this morning....... frown scraped it off the car before work.
Posted by: willhike4food

Re: Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June - 04/29/10 08:40 PM

What part of Ansel Adams? I have been in there several times very cool area.I always go the first week of June the creeks and the creeks are up but it a beautiful place to go. With this years snowfall tho i would check with ranger station, but hey a little snow just makes the adventure a kit more fun! Challenge yourself! Thats half the fun!
Posted by: Paul

Re: Ansel Adams Wilderness Weather - May/June - 04/29/10 09:49 PM

Yes, there will be snow on the ground - maybe a lot of snow. The streams will be running high, crossings will be dangerous on the larger streams. Weather will probably be great - that time of year usually is, as the thunderstorms haven't kicked in yet. On the other hand, I've been snowed on at that time of year, so anything can happen. Bugs may or may not be out, but you should assume they will be out.