Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent

Posted by: ratherBcamping

Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/28/10 08:17 PM

I have been using a really cheap tent that I picked up from Target a few years ago. It's been doing the trick so far on the very few camping trips I've used it on, but it does leak when the rain really comes down. Does anyone have an opinion on seam sealer? Does one work better then another with regards to numerous folding and rolling abuse?

Posted by: Glenn

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/28/10 08:59 PM

This should work:
http://www.rei.com/product/603034

However, are you sure that the seams are the only place water is coming in? If it's leaking elsewhere, you may be better off getting a lightweight nylon tarp to pitch over the top of it, as a rainfly (or second rainfly.)

I once had a cheapo single-wall pup tent from WalTar-K. It leaked in the first rain, too; I think the seams were the only place water didn't come in. An inexpensive poly tarp (nylon tarps were luxury gear, in those days) pitched over it solved the problem. Then I realized it was better ventilated and easier to leave the tent home and just use the tarp. wink
Posted by: lori

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/29/10 12:46 AM

Go to Target/Walmart/any other mart with a general household type section and look for GE Silicone II clear - about 2.50 per tube and you get more silicone than in the McNett's eight dollar tube from REI. Mix with a little mineral spirits, get a cheap foam brush to paint it along the seams. Should be thinned enough to get down in the needle holes.
Posted by: phat

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/29/10 03:05 AM

I use GE clear silicone and white gas mixed about half and half.

don't do anything silly like smoke around it.

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/29/10 06:42 AM

You just reminded me of Pat McManus and the sewer-pipe cannon:

Sheriff: "Are you boys smoking?"

Pat: "Not any more, but you should've been here a few minutes ago."
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/29/10 08:23 PM

Yeah, you can "spill" some onto your driveway (outside the garage) and it just "happens" to catch fire. Of course, then you have to figure out how to put it out.

Son's response, "That's cool Dad, can we do it again?"
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/30/10 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By Tango61

Yeah, you can "spill" some onto your driveway (outside the garage) and it just "happens" to catch fire. Of course, then you have to figure out how to put it out.

Son's response, "That's cool Dad, can we do it again?"

You must have the same son that I do.

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 03/30/10 11:51 AM

I know what you mean, but, ummm, isn't your comment sort of an insult to the boy's mom? wink

Actually, I think there's a gene in all boys (and men, too, for that matter) that makes them like fire and explosions.

I think the Zamboni was the world's greatest invention: ice, heavy machinery, speed, and fire - all the makings of a great time!
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 04/06/10 04:59 PM

Does the GE silicone with mineral spirits or white gas mixture work on non sil-nylon seams?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 04/06/10 09:44 PM

No, the silicone seam sealer (Silnet or the GE silicone caulk plus mineral spirits) is for silicone-impregnated fabrics. For polyurethane coated nylon, you want one of the regular, non-silicone seam sealers.
Posted by: CamperHiker

Re: Hey guys what's a good seam sealer for a tent - 04/08/10 03:00 PM

Great idea for thinning the silicone, my tent will need it this summer.