TNF Snowshoe

Posted by: woodzman

TNF Snowshoe - 02/25/10 11:38 AM

I need a new bag for fall hunting here in NY and I'm considering TNF Snowshoe. I'd really appreciate any opinions/comments I can get on the bag, from those of you that have used one. Thanks!
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: TNF Snowshoe - 02/25/10 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By woodzman
I need a new bag for fall hunting here in NY and I'm considering TNF Snowshoe. I'd really appreciate any opinions/comments I can get on the bag, from those of you that have used one. Thanks!

No direct experience with the bag and thus I cannot comment about its fit or quality. However, after reading some field tests it appears that the bag is more like a +10 to +20 degree bag (depending on individual factors), in which case this becomes a very heavy bag (just under 4lbs) for its temperature rating.

You said that you needed a bag for fall, if this is the only season that you will use the bag in, then a zero degree bag is going to be overkill IMHO. You are going to be carrying additional weight and taking up additional space in your pack just to overheat at night, because I don't believe the temps are going to get close to zero degrees during the fall-- not unless you are up at 11K-12K ft!

If you need the bag for winter camping/hunting too, then that is a different kettle of fish entirely and in this case, just by reading the field tests, I would not use this bag for winter use. Granted you could layer clothing while in the bag, but then you are adding even more weight to make up for inadequacies of the bag itself.

If I were buying a fall bag, then I would look for a good quality +20 degree bag. This will be lighter, and with a mid-weight baselayer (Cap 2/3), Fleece hat, bottoms and a bag liner you could easily bring the rating of the bag down to +10/+15-- which appears to be the true rating of TNF Snowshoe anyway.

Re: TNF Snowshoe - 02/27/10 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the info Chris, I appreciate it.

Re: TNF Snowshoe - 03/02/10 08:43 AM

I'd still like to hear from someone that has actually used the bag. Anybody?