Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear

Posted by: Darwin

Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 12/23/09 07:45 AM

I'm very interested in Stabilicers. I would be using them for walking on icy/snowing sidewalks and for hiking on icy/snowing trails. Which of your Stabilicers would be best for this? Since the cleats on the Stabilicer Lites aren't replaceable, it sounds like they wouldn't be a good choice for because I'm wanting to use them as long as possible. Still what do you think?
Also, how do Stabilicers compare to Kahtoola Microspikes, YakTrax, Get-A-Grips, MonsterGrips and GripOns?
Posted by: Zalman

Re: Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 12/23/09 08:20 AM

I've only used Microspikes. They go on and off as easily as a baseball cap, and I've yet to slip a single inch while wearing them. We get a lot of ice around these parts.

My only complaint about them is the color, which (after some fading) is sort of pinkish. There is also a label for the "Front" on each one, but written in the same color, so it's hard to see in some lighting conditions.
Posted by: packin.law.man

Re: Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 12/23/09 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By Zalman

My only complaint about them is the color, which (after some fading) is sort of pinkish.

Man am I glad to hear that mine are not the only ones to turn pink colored!!! You would think they would offer them in different colors (yellow would be my color of choice)
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 12/26/09 09:45 PM

I love my Stabilicers. I wish I had them one night when I slipped and landed hard on my hip bone. I haven't tried anything else, but I don't see anything else that I'd rather try unless I was to try screwing those cleats directly into the tread of my boots.

Other than cost, is there a reason why you're considering the Lites instead of the regular version? I don't like the way the spikes look on the Lites.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 12/27/09 06:27 PM

I've only used Yak Trax and they have good traction, but I've heard they aren't the most durable. I've only had mine for a couple of months so I can't attest to the durability yet.
Posted by: kyyote

Re: Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 01/29/10 06:38 PM

Without touting one brand over another...
Think of your stride..most people hit heel first then toe...
Buy accordingly, not all brands/designs are made for this stride sequence....
Posted by: goatpacker

Re: Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 01/31/10 02:24 PM

The cheapest and lightest way to go is to add these to your boots.

http://www.rei.com/product/760284

One could even carry a small flat tip tool to "install" them when needed. I added them to some older hiking boots and so far have not had any come out. Carry a few spares just in case...
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Stabilicers vs. other types of ice footwear - 01/31/10 08:46 PM

Maybe it is time to bring back tricouni nails......