NEW TRIP TO THE A.T.

Posted by: sabre11004

NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 11/27/09 02:42 PM

My wife and I are going up to the A.T. near or in the GSMNP in January. Probably some where near Cosby. We will most likely take the Snake Den Ridge Trail that comes directly off the A.T. We will probably stay for 4-5 nights depending on the weather and such. We have been planning this trip for a couple of months and we are really looking forward to it too. Will stay mostly in the tent but may try a shelter or two again depending on how crowded they are. There is a shelter at Crosby Knob that is on the A.T.and we have looked that one over for a while too. I am sure that some one here has stayed on that trail a time or two...sabre11004... lol lol
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 12/03/09 07:10 PM

If you want to stay at a shelter, be sure you call ahead 30 days in advance for a reservation .

Cosby has been renovated from the old chain link style and now sports a translucent sun roof and extended porch for the kitchen area. It has two excellent springs, one which flows from a pipe right next to the shelter. It also has bear cables.

Be aware that tenting is not allowed around shelters. The link I listed also includes any campsites that require a reservation. Once you have your permit number, you can fill out your own permit form once you enter the park.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 12/04/09 11:34 AM

Wow, that is cool!!

I'm wanting to build a shelter in the forest behind our house using some of the Red Cedar growing back there and that's a great design.

Do you have any more photos you can post or PM me?
Posted by: mike

Re: NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 12/04/09 02:22 PM

I think the Cosby area is my favorite part of the park. Just got back from an early November jaunt starting in Big Creek, up to Mt. Sterling, down to Cataloochee, back up and over to Walnut Bottom (campsite 37) and then out along the AT over Cammerer. Great trip.

It helped that we had 3 of the clearest days I have ever seen in the park. 3 full days and nights where I could see the stars, no fog and no clouds in the sky. Really quite novel!

I have been on top of Sterling twice before but have never seen the view due to weather, but we go a fantastic sunset and sunrise. Lovely.

Unfortunately Cammerer did not cooperate. Day 5 of our trip took us from Cosby Knob Shelter back to Big Creek and it rained nonstop the whole day. Still, the rocky trail out to Cammerer was beautiful in that weather. I later heard that it rained for 30 hours strait with over 2" total rainfall.

Highlights from that area of the park for me are the Balsam Mountain Trail, Mt. Sterling and the Sterling Ridge Trail, Mt. Cammerer and the AT is always nice (if not a bit crowded).

Take special care when staying at campsite 37. The mice there are voracious! We once had one stealing gorp from our food bag (on the cable bearbag lines!!!) It took about a cup of gorp from our foodbag and started to make a nest with it in another persons pack.

Then on this most recent stay at 37, I had to expel one from my tent. I never knew a mouse could run around on a vertical piece of noseeum. I'm just glad he didnt chew his way out.

Anyway, have a great trip!

Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 12/04/09 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Wow, that is cool!!

I'm wanting to build a shelter in the forest behind our house using some of the Red Cedar growing back there and that's a great design.

Do you have any more photos you can post or PM me?

Other improved shelters in the Smokies:

Derrick Knob Shelter:

Inside view with sunroof:

Icewater Spring Shelter:

Tri-Corner Knob Shelter:

These are much improved over the old chain-link fenced shelters like Mt. Collins:
Posted by: oldranger

Re: NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 12/04/09 06:19 PM

You dudes are stylin'. I've seen ranger stations that aren't that nice.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 12/06/09 02:19 PM

Thank you, Bearpaw, those are awesome!

I showed the first photo to my neighbor, Randy, last night while we were sitting down back by a fire. We were inspired to build a big stone fireplace like those in your photos this winter and add on from there.

Lucky for us, we both have lots of rocks and big cedars to work with wink

Posted by: Kent W

Re: NEW TRIP TO THE A.T. - 12/06/09 03:28 PM

Nice photos Thanks, I have stayed at Ice Water springs and Mt Collins back in the 80s. Ice water shelter looks like huge improvement. I am going back there backpacking in Late March. I am still contemplating my stays. The trail guidbook and map is a great help. I will reserve a month earlier. We had trouble getting sites back in the 80s winter camping. I am sure it will be tough to get sites I want. Thanks again