Quilt users, how do you keep head warm?

Posted by: Cesar

Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/13/09 12:19 AM

When using a 20* quilt what do you use to insulate you head? I know putting the quilt over your head is not a very good idea, especially if its down. Well Ive been toying with the idea of hacking up my 20* down bag (really 30* since its a bit under filled) but wanted to find a way to insulate my head before I thought more into it. I probably wouldn't be able to get a true 20* rating but I'm thinking I should be able to get it a bit lower since I don't plan to take any down out and I planned stuff use the down from the hood and draft tube.

Anyhow Ive been thinking of getting a bomber hat but wasn't sure what other options where out there. So what or quilt users using to keep their heads warm?
Posted by: lori

Re: Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/13/09 12:40 AM

Regular old beanie hat, fleece beanie, light balaclava, or a combo of one or more of them. I have a bomber hat I made with leftovers from a Ray Way kit - it's tooooo hot for me. Breathable seems to work better for me anyway. Been down to low 20s with the balaclava as a neck/lower face cover and a fleece beanie.

JRB makes down hood/sleeves to go with their wearable quilts.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/13/09 07:04 AM

I'm just learning to use a quilt, and mine's a 40-degree rating (Thermarest Ventra). At 40 or above, a balaclava is plenty warm inside a tent. Below that, I'm thinking I'll need a layer of insulating clothing anyhow, so a Patagonia hooded down sweater. I'm hoping that also eliminates the old sleeping bag problem of rolling onto my side and burying my face in the side of the hood.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/13/09 09:14 AM

I do what lori does.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/13/09 10:03 AM

I forgot about the ray way bomber hat. I was thinking more like a rabbit fur lined bomber hats.

Yeah at 40* I should be able to get away with just a balaclava also. Ive been out in the low 40's with out anything on my head, not that I'd like to do it again, but I was still able to get some sleep.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/20/09 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By Cesar
When using a 20* quilt what do you use to insulate you head? I know putting the quilt over your head is not a very good idea, especially if its down. Well Ive been toying with the idea of hacking up my 20* down bag (really 30* since its a bit under filled) but wanted to find a way to insulate my head before I thought more into it. I probably wouldn't be able to get a true 20* rating but I'm thinking I should be able to get it a bit lower since I don't plan to take any down out and I planned stuff use the down from the hood and draft tube.

Anyhow Ive been thinking of getting a bomber hat but wasn't sure what other options where out there. So what or quilt users using to keep their heads warm?

This is what i use:
http://www.blackrockgear.com/buy.html

BF cool
Posted by: TomD

Re: Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/20/09 06:20 PM

Ray's quilt kit that he sells has a hood of sorts designed into it-I just know this from the pictures and reading about it on his site, so no idea how well it works. He also sells a hat kit mentioned above. A website called The Mad Bomber sells Canadian style trooper and bomber hats of all types-synthetic and rabbit fur.

Another idea is the Finnbar hood for really cold weather-
http://www2.smumn.edu/deptpages/~finnovations/Hood/hood.html

I have used a balaclava and fleece beanie-both work okay, but I am not wild about sleeping in them.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Quilt users, how do you keep head warm? - 11/20/09 06:42 PM

Hats of various kinds...knit, fleece, etc. I DO stick my head under the down quilt sometimes as warm breath can take off chill. In fact, when in my hammock the quilt bunches up into more of 'nest' and my head is usually covered in it.