need to revise my tarp setup.

Posted by: routerdoubter

need to revise my tarp setup. - 10/19/09 03:28 PM

So my girl and I just got back from a wonderfully wet weekend trip. (torrential down pour). We decided to try out tarp camping for the first time instead of tent. it went relatively ok, but definitely could be better. We brought 2 12X12 PUcoated nylon tarps with us. one was for the main set up, the other was for just in case. Below a backyard test setup of our shelter.

the problem we encounter was the foot end of our sleeping bags started to get dripped on. not sure if it was the tarp leaking or condensation build up and that was the low spot where it would build up and let go. so we took the second tarp and covered our selves with to try and keep the drips off, this sort of helped. kept in heat, but also kept in body vapors. I have plans to either modify the existing tarp or make a new tarp tent that gives us some better protection, although i'm wondering what to do about moisture build up with a setup like we have at the moment.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: need to revise my tarp setup. - 10/19/09 04:11 PM

I'm not a tarp expert, preferring a single-wall tent, but I noticed that you have the tarp pitched all the way to the ground except in front. With no ventilation in the lower half of the tarp, condensation-lots of it-is inevitable.

I'd want to leave an inch or two space between the ground and the tarp around the edges. It might make all the difference.
Posted by: Heber

Re: need to revise my tarp setup. - 10/19/09 05:06 PM

I've had the same problem with this pitch. Because it is open on only one end there is no circulation and so moisture rising from you (or from the ground, which happens when the ground is moist and less cold than the air) condenses on the underside.

The fix is to make sure that the tarp is off the ground in every direction. Just a few inches might be enough.

To handle wet tarps (either from rain or condensation) I always carry my lightload towel. A few minutes in the morning is all it takes to dry the tarp.
Posted by: Gazbo

Re: need to revise my tarp setup. - 10/19/09 05:22 PM

Try the basic A-frame. It's easy to set up and you can drop the side towards the wind all the way to the ground if needed. With a 12 x 12, you should be able to keep away from the splatter and blown rain unless its really howling out. By playing with the peak and side heights -- which can usually be done from under the tarp -- you can usually find the optimal configuration.

I've used a 10 x 10 tarp with two people is some very heavy storms and stayed dry except for some minor splatter.

Whatever you do, don't stop trying out tarp camping!
Posted by: DTape

Re: need to revise my tarp setup. - 10/19/09 05:42 PM

with as large tarp like a 12x12, you have so many options. Some of which you have tried, and others have suggested. With a square tarp this size, the low-tetra pitch would provide ample room and coverage. As would the wind shed, and forester pitches.

http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

Re: need to revise my tarp setup. - 10/19/09 08:09 PM

so a little more info about the tarp. it's a guide gear tarp. pretty much identical to the kelty noah's tarp, so it has the caternary cut that too me seems like it would make a frame a little difficult to pitch. another thing about it, is it definitely appears to have less guy-outs than the kelty, so I think I'll be fixing that very soon.

Re: need to revise my tarp setup. - 10/19/09 08:11 PM

thank you for that link, i think we'll give that a try this weekend in the backyard and see how that work for set up.