California Says No More Camping Reservations

Posted by: NiytOwl

California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/01/09 03:16 PM

[RANT WARNING]

This morning I tried to reserve a campsite for my family's spring camping trip. Whoops! No can do. The reservation system says that it is no longer taking reservations for that park.

So after enduring another 5 minutes of auto-prattle from their voice mail system (doesn't even present you with a menu until you listen to the whole useless message), I finally talk with a real person who is just as clueless as to why I can't reserve a spot, other than "the system just won't allow it anymore". Don't they tell the employees anything these days?

I suppose someone is going to say that somehow the park reservation system costs the state more money to operate than it takes in. I thought it actually helped less desirable parks fill up, because campers seeing that the nicer parks are full will look for alternatives. It also saves a lot of frustration - remember driving to a park and seeing "Campground Full" on the entry kiosk? Guess the state park system thinks we like that retro feeling.

First they raise the camping and use fees over 40%, then they cut back on the services, and now they axe the reservations. I think this spring we're just going to skip the camping and take the kids to Disneyland.

[/RANT WARNING]
Posted by: lori

Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/01/09 05:22 PM

There's a list of state parks taking reservations here.

When not in a national park I tend to go to national forests and wilderness areas that never require or need reservations to camp - perhaps there are some of those regions within a reasonable distance you could look at? There are a ton of car/RV campgrounds around Huntington Lake in Sierra NF, for example, but one can easily drive out on some of the NF roads nearby and car camp in any accessible area for free.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/01/09 06:12 PM

I dunno much about it, other than the parks system has been in flux for the last half year awaiting clarity on their budget and revised mission. Here's the Parks & Rec announcement:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=737

I see the reservation system itself is provided by a vendor:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDirectoryList.do?contractCode=ca

Sad thing is the entire parks budget is a fraction of a percent of the state budget. They're being used as a high-profile prop by the administration and legislature.
Posted by: hatidua

Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/02/09 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By NiytOwl

First they raise the camping and use fees over 40%, then they cut back on the services, and now they axe the reservations.

I was born/raised in CA and didn't leave until after I'd been married a few years but the view from outside of that state is pretty amazing. The folk running CA are bound and determined to screw it up as bad as they possibly can - and they look to be succeeding rather well.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/03/09 01:12 AM

OK--I live in California, so I am going to suggest that most of the problem is the people who live here. They want more services, and they want lower taxes. And somehow they think the math is going to work on that.

And while our politicians are doing a pretty ridiculous job of making this a partisan issue, the real problem is that there isn't enough money...but everybody still wants all the services.
Posted by: aimless

Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/03/09 12:35 PM

they think the math is going to work on that.

And, of course, when you elect a bunch of folks who tell voters that the math will work on that, you end up with a legislature full of incompetants and liars. Same story all over the country, really.
Posted by: TomD

Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/04/09 02:39 AM

I too live in CA and agree about the whole services v taxes argument. CA has a screwed up budget process where the minority can block the budget because it requires a 2/3 vote to pass.

With Prop 13, taxes are kept artificially low given the demand for services. I haven't tried the reservation system, so no ideas on that. I don't get out that much, but at Yosemite in winter in the high country (Badger Pass area), no reservations needed at all. Just show up. The Valley sites use a reservation system, but not sure if that is all year round. The info is on the Yosemite vendor's website.
Posted by: stingray4540

Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations - 10/04/09 11:53 AM

Funny, I often wish to have LESS services.

In fact, I would rather pay them to do less. Quit paving trails in all the nicest spots, the beauty of nature is ruined by the pavement, gift shops and throngs of overweight slobbering tourists!

I say leave the wilderness alone! Let the people who are willing to put in the extra effort to get there, enjoy it and take care of it.

It kills me every time I put money in an envelope, that I'M paying to ruin such a beautiful piece of wilderness.

I would pay double, for them to tear out the paved paths, and the gift shops, just leave a dirt trailhead parking lot, and a porta-pottie in the parking lot. The money I pay can go to 2 or 3 employees who's only job is to go clear a tree off the trial when it's reported by a hiker.

P.S. I'm also in California.